Adoption Information Needed ASAP for New Husky Owner

AriW

Hi All,

I am going on Saturday to potentially adopt a 7 month old male husky and need some help. The owner can not keep the dog due to working full days and her son is full time working/school.  She said the husky is fully vetted with all his shots and she has all his vet vaccines paperwork, etc.  and is currently not fixed because the vet recommended to wait until he is a year old in order to get him fixed. This is my first time adopting a husky as I've only had terriers but have have experience with older huskies. I would greatly appreciate any advice on what I should be looking out for when seeing the dog on Saturday, any specific or general health concerns I should speak about, or anything else and/or suggestions. Thank you in advance!

Well, there are always the classic questions...
"is he good with kids?" "does he like other dogs?" "has he ever bitten?" "is he housebroken?" "is he crate-trained?" "what training has he had?"
And I guess, checking out his overall energy level (mellow vs wired) and friendliness.

We passed on some of the first dogs we met (i.e. beautiful girl dog, but wants to kill other female dogs / big male with an extremely high energy level / smaller female, spent the whole time hiding under the foster's chair). I think it's important to find a dog that will match your lifestyle & energy level & personality because if not, it can get pretty miserable! 

I would hold off on the neutering until at least  18 months /2 years old.   If neutered before the growth plates have fully closed then the dog is more likely to develop  hip/elbow dysplasia,  crutiate ligament tears etc.

• 1 month later...

Husky dogs are my favorite! I am thinking of buying one more dog now, most probably a Husky. I have one Samoyed, that is actually my parents', but I want my own dog and more happiness in my life. My neighbor has an Akita, and I asked him what he would advise me to do. He said that insurance is excellent for these breeds, and I am thinking of buying it. https://www.petinsurancereview.com/is-pet-insurance-worth-it I found a lot of benefits here, and it's a pretty good idea. These dogs require a lot of attention, care, and investment. So money plays a role here.