Marley at it YET again - this time at the emergency vets for most of today.

wolfpup

Spent the largest part of the day at our nearest emergency vet - took just over an hour to get there, through the height of the Blackpool season - many hundreds of newly freed visitors wandering around the prom with not a care in the world for inconveniences like traffic, bikes, horse drawn carriages (they have right of way up here), trams (2nd right of way) etc  - oblivious to the pandemonium they cause by wandering across the road and tram-tracks at will  - scarsely looking to either side so intent of their drunken revelry.

Meanwhile I have a dog on the back seat pumping blood, panicking, another in the back (dog section)  howling because he was on his own because Marley was on the back seat and he was trying to get to him - could not put Marley in there in case of an emergency and I needed to get to him fast,  - and a lump of a husband in the passenger seat  - apparently all his attention taken up with looking at the sat-nav for directions !   Not paying any attention to Marley in the back seat, obviously thinking I could drive and take care of the dog at the same time.

For the first time in 50 years of owning dogs - one got a bone stuck in his mouth  -  inbetween his back teeth spanning his mouth - covering the majority of the roof of his mouth.     I have a badly bitten left hand for my attempts to get it out, he has a bitten tongue - and tears from his own claws,  gums are badly torn  - not able to stitch him because of his allergies to stitches.

They took him through immediately - despite my being told on the phone they were in surgery until 2pm  (we got there around 12.15pm)  -  he was in recovery for what seemed like hours  and we eventually got home very late afternoon,  and hundreds of pounds lighter!    With this vet its costs you £112 to step inside the front door - before any treatment!

Marley has slept most of the time since being back home - and Mikey won't even come into the house   -  I think he is mad with me for taking Marley into the building and leaving him with hubby in the car.    Add to that I wont allow either of them their favourite treat - a lamb's rib  -  I cannot give it to one dog and not the other  -  so I am in the 'doghouse' with Mikey  -  and its taken me nearly 2 years to get on speaking terms with him!

One thing that has surprised us both is that Marley did not have an epileptic fit during all this  - although we will be keeping an eye on him for the next few days for any sort of reaction.

Tonight Marley will be coming upstairs with me (my cat wont be too pleased about it - although they do get on well together) whilst hubby stays downstairs with Mikey    To be honest I expect tonight to be about as restfull as the day has been.

Whoever said Sunday is a day of rest????    It should state  Sunday is a day of rest .......... unless you have huskies.

Marley is still very quiet, quite needy and sleepy and Mikey is still up the top of the garden sulking - would not come in the house even for dinner - I had to take it outside for him.    It will take around 5 days for Marley's mouth and tongue to heal.    Tomorrow he will be having wild caught salmon & Lamb  -   it is very soft and easy to eat  -  although he did have dinner today once we got home  -  mainly bone broth with salmon in it.

If they had been able to stitch him he would have been basically back to 'normal' tomorrow  -  however it is going to take him longer.    The vast majority of the damage was caused by his attempts to get the bone out himself  -  he has evidently damaged a claw as well  - but I have not tried to look at it as I don't want to add to any distress.

My worst bite is actually a single puncture - in the soft flesh between the thumb and hand, going from the back of the hand to the palm  - one of his canines has gone completely through the first layer of skin and into the muscle under the epidermis.   I think he has clipped a nerve as my thumb is extremely painful to try and move, I have no grip to speak of, - but it has stopped swelling although it is extremely red, puffy and hot.    Have cleaned it and put calendula tincture on it   (immediately wished I hadn't).

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Shepsky5 said:

Ouch! Will you need antibiotics...? 

Poor Marley! 

what a way to spend a Sunday...it's always on a weekend, isn't it? Or, late at night?! 

Alls well now   -........................... if you don't count Mikey.      He will not be in the same room as me now,   if I walk in  - he walks out  - every time.    If I am upstairs  he will be in the house downstairs,  but as soon as he hears me coming downstairs  - he goes into the garden.     He will come in to eat his main meal  - but goes out immediately afterwards.       If it is hammering down with rain  Mikey will stay in the house  - by the back door in the kitchen  - never where I am.     All the work I have done over the last couple of years has apparently been undone  with this one trip to the vet with Marley  for some reason.    Even after two years  - he still shies away from me when I go to stroke him or give him any attention whatsoever,  however will allow me to brush him providing I do not attempt to hold him in place.

On the other hand, when the two boys decide it is time for them to have their favourite treat  - a lamb's rib  -  he thinks nothing of launching himself at me and giving me a big wet lick on my face!    He is a very complicated character.

Mikey apparently can hold a big Grudge!!  😁
Maybe you could bring Just Mikey somewhere and leave Marley at home, and give him a special treat while you're out together, and he'll forgive you? 

( My dog seems to be unable to hold a grudge for more than a few minutes, and the grudge is easily forgotten with a cheese tidbit. )

1 hour ago, Shepsky5 said:

Mikey apparently can hold a big Grudge!!  😁
Maybe you could bring Just Mikey somewhere and leave Marley at home, and give him a special treat while you're out together, and he'll forgive you? 

( My dog seems to be unable to hold a grudge for more than a few minutes, and the grudge is easily forgotten with a cheese tidbit. )

Afraid that won't work  - mikey came to us as an abuse case  - abused by a female.   Hence we (females) are not to be trusted.     For the last two years or so I have walked 'softly' around him, never even raised my voice  -  except when Marley was getting his bottom lip ripped  (never healed properly).   This dog I fear will never trust women  - but it won't stop me working on him  - he is a very complicated character  - but I believe he is happy (in his own way)  some times he comes in willingly when I need him to  - most times he just stands and looks at me as if I had grown horns and a tail - and then bolts for the top of the garden.   I will get there  - it will just take more time, patience,  - and a LOT more patience!