Waking up at night suddenly

Help please! My pup, Koda, has been sleeping in a crate at night since we got him at 9 weeks, he started off in our room but we moved him over to his own room a few weeks later. He would wake up a few times during the night needing to pee and poo so we would take him out, but this stopped when he turned 5 months and he would sleep from about 11pm till 7/8am without crying and if he did cry, a quick ‘shh’ would stop him and he would go back asleep. He’s now nearly 9 months old and for the past week or so he’s been waking up crying and howling between 3-6am. We’ve tried taking him out thinking he needs the toilet but he’s only done this a few times so it’s not that, I thought maybe he’s hot so make sure his room is fully cool before we put him to bed and even leave a fan in his room and crate cover up but nothing seems to be working! We’re having to give in and let him out (I know that’s the wrong thing to do) but he just doesn’t stop at that time in the morning, so he comes into our room and just falls asleep on the floor until we’re ready to get up. 

Any idea why he’s doing this all of a sudden? 
Thanks! 

I would definitely say its because he does not like being shut away from you  - the fact that when you let him come into your room he falls straight asleep  says it all really.   Can I ask why you think it is wrong to let him out of his cage?????    There is no instruction as far as I am aware that they should be locked into their cage at night.    Whilst crate training is exceptionally good  -  for those occasions when you do need to confine him  (wish I had been able to do it after Marley's operation)  -  there is no reason now he is older that he should be parted from you at night   -  is there?

@wolfpup I meant more the fact that it’s giving in to him crying so by letting him out he’s learning all he has to do is cry to be let out. I personally don’t mind if he’s crated or not at night, but we don’t really want him in our room during the night. So that’s why we set him up in his own room and he’s been perfectly happy up until a week ago. He likes his crate and goes into it as his safe place for alone time so it just seems strange to come on all of a sudden.