Recently inherited a 2 year old husky, would like some advice/thoughts on her behaviour

Hi there,

A week ago I adopted a husky from a family member who is moving countries and cannot take her. I initially was resistant because my tenants have a cat, but I eventually accepted for two reasons; she has lived with a cat before with no problems, and the cat (and tenants) will be leaving in a few months so if necessary we can keep them apart until then.

So far it has been going really well! She's settled in really quickly, I absolutely adore her, and she fits my lifestyle well (I walk and hike a lot).

As it's only been a week I know she won't have fully opened up yet, and has seemingly been on her best behaviour up till now. HOWEVER, she has just come on heat and started bleeding a few days ago. In the last couple of days I have also noticed a few behvaiour changes - she has started hiding under the kitchen table to nap, whereas before she was just sleeping in the open, and this morning when I let her in the garden from her morning pee she growled at me for a second. It didn't seem aggressive, but the only time she has made a noise like that so far is when playing with a chew toy, never unprompted. I'd love some advice on whether this is likely due to her being in heat, or is she testing boundaries with the new place and family?

(I am getting her in to be spayed very soon, but the vet won't do it while she's in season because of the swelling.)

With regards the cat, we have been introducing them slowly. We gave them a few days to get to know each others smells (the cat in particular - dog is really calm, but he has been very anxious and hisses and even attacks any door she is behind) and then when he (the cat) calmed down started introducing them slowly in person in communal spaces with the dog on a leash. She is easy to distract with treats when the cat is around, and generally pretty calm, but she has noticed him and is interested. The other day, however, she was lying on the floor and when he came up to sniff her back paws she turned her face towards him and curled her top lip. She made no sound. Honestly I thought maybe she was doing that 'submissive grin' thing that some dogs do, but it was really hard to tell whether it was that or threatening. We seperated them at that point just to be safe. I'm not sure if it's better to withdraw their exposure to each other until she isn't in heat anymore, or just keep going. Although, as I said, keeping them apart is an option, I'd like to keep it as a last resort.

If anyone here has experienced getting a husky at this age and can give advice, please weigh in :)

I have two rescues, both huskies,  the first one was young and I had no problem with introducing him to our cat  -  the second one was 3 1/2  - like you I had no problem taking him as he had lived with a cat before.

Mistake.      He may have lived with a cat previously -  but regards my cat as fair game.    In the first week  they were just separated by a 4ft gate,  my cat thinks all dogs are his friend, so kept coming up to the barrier   -  Mikey stood still, giving no outward signs of agression, just interest.   The cat came too close - and mikey got the cats head in his jaws  - luckily I was there and he also got my hand as well so he could not snap down hard.

There are now additional barriers  - but the cat no longer comes downstairs (his choice).     The only day they have ever been in the same room together was last Bonfire night  -  both animals were petrified  - I held the cat at all times  -  Mikey was cowering in a corner and just looked at the cat but did not move.

Just because your dog has lived with a cat before  - does not mean she will accept this cat  -  I strongly advise you to keep them separated  -  she warned the cat by lifting her lip.    

As for the growl  - its difficult to tell with not being there and seeing/hearing it.   Mikey was silent for the first month or so with us  -  then started to growl,  -  he now growls all the time and to a stranger he sounds vicious/agressive  (I thought so to start with),  but now realize it is his way of talking  -  and he has a lot to say for himself  -    the only time I have ever heard Marley growl  (nearly 7 years old)  is in his sleep.   I would now know the difference between his speaking voice and danger.