Small animals

CarlyRUK

Hi

My family are looking at a Siberian Husky Pup, we done a lot of research BUT we re getting mixed information when it comes to their relationship with smaller animals. (I suppose it depends on whether you re a sibe lover or not). We have a toddler child and a cat, and we re the puppy we are seeing is being bought up in a family home with a cat and small children. With a plan to integrate them earlier but keep a safe space for the cat just in case. We also have family who have small dogs, ie, chihuahua’s and a few people have advised us the sibe animal instinct does not disappear and perhaps this isn’t the right dog for us as it can still attack smaller animals. Our thoughts were ask the Owners! So I hope no one minds but had anyone experienced their sibe attacking a smaller animal out whilst walking or have experience  cat/dog harmony. 
We just want to do this right and make sure we re being sensible! 
thanks 

Carly x 

We took in a 6 year old female, we had two cats. She was very interested in them, we also have hens, she was very interested in them too. Both cats chose their own way to cope with her attention, the older Maine Coon stood her ground, the Bengal ran away. All we did was to reinforce to the dog that these animals were not for chasing. Within several weeks both cats settled, the Bengal treats the dog as just something that also lives here, the nose together, he walks past without a care etc. The other cat was just the same, we no longer have her sadly. I suspect the relationship your dog has with cats will depend on how well you train her. Our dog still wants to chase other cats outside along with squirrels. She has never shown any aggression towards even tiny dogs, she treats them just as dogs. Most owners though see her coming and pick them up! I'd advise some good training material and stick with it.

In my opinion and (limited) experience - it all depends on the dog and how it was brought up, as well as its prey-drive instinct.

My first husky rescue I got whilst still a pup  (12 weeks old)  -  I then had two cats and another dog who always got on well with the cats.   As he was a puppy he thought they were litter play-mates as they were not much smaller than he was -  and grew up liking them both very much  - one cat has always thought all dogs were his friends (notice the change in tense)  -  the other cat, not so much but tolerated Marley.  However I have never had any sort of problem betwen Marley and my cat(s)  - one of my cats is no longer with us (cancer) but Marley and my other cat will still groom each other 7 years later.   He will and does, though, chase any and all strange cats, squirrels, etc  - but not birds - he just looks at them  - probably because I used to have chickens when he was young.   He once caught one of my hens that had escaped  -  grabbed it by the neck - but by the time I got to them the hen was still alive, just missing a few feathers around the neck (and mightily offended).   He is not a killer by nature  - just enjoys the chase.

Enter Mikey  - then 31/2, we took him because he had previously lived with a cat.     He will kill our cat as soon as he can  -  the dog, the cat and we all know this.   He may have lived with a cat previously  - but my cat is not that cat.   Mikey has a very high prey drive  - I don't know how he would react to a very small dog  - I've never let him get that close to one, I dont want to take the risk.  

It is far easier to introduce a dog/husky puppy to a family that already has a cat - I would never recommend the reverse.   Also if the dog is young enough, and taught from day one that the cat is not for chasing   (this takes time and effort with ANY pup)  then you stand more than a fighting chance.   However it really does depend on the individual dog's prey-drive instinct  - which does not fully kick in until maturity.     

In my houehold we have 2 huskies, one cat  -  four  4ft high dog gates.    One in the hallway,  one at the top of the stairs, two more - to one of the bedrooms and one to the office.  The upstairs three gates have one bar removed - so the cat can go through at speed if necessary - but the dogs can not.     Mikey has the run of the downstairs.    The cat has the run of the upstairs, with the option to come downstairs as far as the hallway gate if he chooses  (he does not choose to do so any more) Marley gets the run of the whole house  - going upstairs any time he chooses if he wants a break from Mikey,  .......  its not unusual to see both Marley and my cat alseep on my bed together.

I really do believe it depends on the dog, how it was introduced to cats, taught the correct behaviour from an early age.  If you do decide on a husky pup  - the younger the pup the better  (12 weeks old is fantastic - younger could mean he was taken from his mum and siblings too early  - which brings its own problems  -  the mum (and its siblings) have much to teach a young pup and does a lot of your work for you if you give her/them time).    

My boy loves small dogs , actually seems to get on better with smaller dogs then larger ones (he absolutely adores my cousins Pom

73ed222344129e5e13d94dac6679af20.thumb.jpg.35098e1a03f30697b8b7fa6419eb9a24.jpg

With regards to cats it can be done BUT you need to always be aware one day the prey drive can kick in,  could be years down the line , never leave unsupervised either and never drop your guard , would you be able to still love your dog if 8/10 plus years down the line it killed your cat