What should husky puppies eat?

BrandySutton

We feed our dogs everything from raw food to dehydrated frozen raw food to home cooked food to wet (tinned) food  to  top quality kibble type food  etc.     Different people have different ideas as to what constitues a good diet for their dogs depending on  their budget, desire to give the best nutrition possible for that budget,  time available to prepare the food, or convenience to the owner.    Convenience to the owner usually translates to higher vet bills as the dog gets older  - not always, but quite often.

What do you WANT to feed your dog?    How important does nutrition  and food quality play out compared to how convenient and easy it is for you?   How much research are you prepared to do on dog food nutrition?   How much can you afford to spend a week on your dog's food?

Firstly though I would ask you to consider the breed, its characteristics, challenges and requirements for exercise, companionship and mental stimulation  -  not a breed  recommended if you both work all day and want a house to come home to.   The husky is not for a novice owner  - not if you want a happy, contented dog.     How much serious research have you already done on the breed?   

I am sorry if I sound  'down'   -  we all know they are cute  - but that is not the basis you should use to judge what would make you a suitable owner for a fantastic breed of dog  - too many end up in rescue centres because people did not do their research on the challenges this breed can bring.   If you want a dog that will do everything you want him to,  be obedient all the time etc  - get a labrador.      If you want a breed that will challenge you, outwit you several times a week, will obey you around 50% of the time if you are lucky,  seems to have an inbred "what's in it for me" attitude,  has one of the highest prey-drives in the canine kingdom  (small furries beware), have an inate tendency to NOT come to recall once out of puppy stage so should never be trusted off lead.   They are also consumate escape artists - able to climb things you would not believe.

899578996_escapeartist-levelexpert.jpg.eeeed55a0da59adff36fd81ae9f27024.jpgThen yes,  get a husky.

Having said all that - we obviously think they are the best dogs on the planet  - but they are not the breed for everyone.

Theyre actually a medium dog breed,  any puppy should be continued to be fed on what the breeder has them on to start,  any change needs to be done gradually 

Where are u based?  I'm from the UK so would only be able to recommend brands we have here which might not be available elsewhere 

Hello Brandy 😃.  I have to say Wolfpup is right on spot!  I have learned so much by research ,research ,research!  Also you have to pay attention to your Pups body language.  Like chewing on their paws, doesn't always mean they have flea's!  It could be food allergies.  My boy Blu is not ready for raw yet, because I've tried a little bit to get him adjusted to it!  He threw it up,so I think his belly is not ready for raw!  Plain boiled chicken and beef roast, sauteed liver and heart with sweet potatoes!  His belly is happy 😁 and No vomiting, poo looks good as well!   

5 hours ago, Diane McClure said:

Hello Brandy 😃.  I have to say Wolfpup is right on spot!  I have learned so much by research ,research ,research!  Also you have to pay attention to your Pups body language.  Like chewing on their paws, doesn't always mean they have flea's!  It could be food allergies.  My boy Blu is not ready for raw yet, because I've tried a little bit to get him adjusted to it!  He threw it up,so I think his belly is not ready for raw!  Plain boiled chicken and beef roast, sauteed liver and heart with sweet potatoes!  His belly is happy 😁 and No vomiting, poo looks good as well!   

When you think Blu is ready - message me  -  I can probably help.   I changed Marley over to raw the day after I got him at 12 weeks  -  he has food allergies/epileptic etc (no vet meds) - and the only reason he is still alive is because he was raw fed.   Paw licking could not only be food allergies  - but possibly environmental allergies.    However a home cooked balanced diet is the second best thing you can give your pup  - keep it up.

Thank you Wolfpup, because Blu's a picky eater as well!  His vet says one thing and I read how it's the best for your pup!  I have to admit  I'm not that bright when it comes to how much raw meat and how much vegetables in one serving and all the prepping that goes into it 😔😏  I will message you when he's ready for all that ☺️

Archived