Never owned a Husky please give tips

Muintir

So my daughter always wanted a husky ever since she was 3. 13 years later her first dog passed and it was time to surprise her with a new pup. We got a beautiful brown furred husky and i k ow they are smart and unique dogs so im hoping for some tips while she is still a pup. Got damn if she doesnt have energy for days lol. Im a little concerned about her diet though as even stuff for puppies seems to give her the runs. We are trying different brands but i wouldnt mind making my own food mix for her if needed and is healthier. Damn this dog is so loving i havent had one this loving and nor ever had such a personality since the pitbull i bought my wife when we were young and dumb. Btw i hate the bad rep that breed gets. It was such an amazing dog that raised my girls right. Anyway thanks in advance 

Edit: also for the love of god please help with what to do about her chewing and how to break it. Ive owned 6 dogs in my life and this is the first time ive had a chewer. She especially love wires which is a worry 

You dont say which country you are in.   Can you get hold of  Vicks rub - the sort used on your chest when you have a cold?   If so  this spread on the things your pup is chewing on should stop the habit.   Does not hurt the dog  - but they don't usually like the strong smell and stay away.   It saved my wooden chair legs, and wooden table.

How old is the pup   - if she is old enough  (12 weeks is more than old enough) then some raw lambs ribs are perfect   - my boys are still addicted to them and they are  5  and 6 years old now.     The ribs MUST be raw.   Not only will the ribs be good for her teeth, it will keep her occupied and away from the stuff you dont want her to chew.   The ribs crumble easily and are the easiest of the bones to be digested.    If they have a bit of meat left on - pulling the bits off will keep your dogs teeth strong  (and white) and also act like a floss for intbetween the teeth.

I had a dog that had the runs for the first three years of his life  -  no dog food would help - and I tried them all.    I finally managed to get him onto raw food  -  and hey presto!  no more runs.     If you are prepared to try and create your dog's food yourself I am willing to help you all I can  if you are willing to try.   I have been raw feeding for about 12 years.

6 hours ago, wolfpup said:

You dont say which country you are in.   Can you get hold of  Vicks rub - the sort used on your chest when you have a cold?   If so  this spread on the things your pup is chewing on should stop the habit.   Does not hurt the dog  - but they don't usually like the strong smell and stay away.   It saved my wooden chair legs, and wooden table.

How old is the pup   - if she is old enough  (12 weeks is more than old enough) then some raw lambs ribs are perfect   - my boys are still addicted to them and they are  5  and 6 years old now.     The ribs MUST be raw.   Not only will the ribs be good for her teeth, it will keep her occupied and away from the stuff you dont want her to chew.   The ribs crumble easily and are the easiest of the bones to be digested.    If they have a bit of meat left on - pulling the bits off will keep your dogs teeth strong  (and white) and also act like a floss for intbetween the teeth.

I had a dog that had the runs for the first three years of his life  -  no dog food would help - and I tried them all.    I finally managed to get him onto raw food  -  and hey presto!  no more runs.     If you are prepared to try and create your dog's food yourself I am willing to help you all I can  if you are willing to try.   I have been raw feeding for about 12 years.

Im in the US and she is 11 weeks old. Can you get lamb raw ribs at petsmart or special order? I am definitely willing to try. She is shitting so much its not funny. I wake up to literally 8 piles on average. When we got her she was so filthy and said to just be kept in a crate so i dont think she really ate much. She was so skinny and any food the first 2 days she just sniffed. Its like she didnt know what it was.

OK.   Your first job is to get her tested at the vets to make sure there is no infection.  If she was dirty when you picked her up it does not bode well for the conditions the pup was kept in.    Once she has the all clear from the vet  then we will know there is no underlying condition causing the runs and poor condition.    At that age it is vital she is getting all the nutrition from the food she eats  -  and she cannot when she has the runs.    A puppy can die easily at that age from an infection.

In the meantime - and if she were an adult I would recommend this first  -    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/stop-dog-diarrhea/

However for your own peace of mind please get her checked by a vet for underlying causes.

Once you have her back to how a puppy should be I will be happy to help you all I can with transitioning her to a raw diet.

5 hours ago, wolfpup said:

OK.   Your first job is to get her tested at the vets to make sure there is no infection.  If she was dirty when you picked her up it does not bode well for the conditions the pup was kept in.    Once she has the all clear from the vet  then we will know there is no underlying condition causing the runs and poor condition.    At that age it is vital she is getting all the nutrition from the food she eats  -  and she cannot when she has the runs.    A puppy can die easily at that age from an infection.

In the meantime - and if she were an adult I would recommend this first  -    https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/stop-dog-diarrhea/

However for your own peace of mind please get her checked by a vet for underlying causes.

Once you have her back to how a puppy should be I will be happy to help you all I can with transitioning her to a raw diet.

I will do a vet check but she seems healthy as can be and put on quite a bit of weight this week. She has energy for days and is quite active and playful. All good, tho not definitive signs

Archived