HELP! Wont eat anything!

Chongbear

So I know this is a common problem with huskies but I have tried virtually everything! She's 1 year old and 2/3 months, since we got her we've been having nightmares with her food, we've tried tonnes of dry and wet food e.g. forthglade, butchers, chappies, natures menu, orijen, wainwrights, and step up to nature to name a few; we have tried just feeding wet food, just dry food, and mixing the two together. With most food she plays with it in her bowl and then spits it out, occasionally she'll pick at it if we leave it out for a few hours, and if she's really really hungry she will eat it all on a rare occasion. She'll happily eat human food, so we've tried not giving her anything at all but she'll happily starve herself for a few days or eat the bare minimum of what we give here e.g. one or two mouthfuls to get her by until she gets something she wants. Recently I thought the solution may to be to switch to a raw diet so I did a huge amount of research in preparation but the same problems have persisted. First of I tried giving her some lamb and beef steaks aswell as a vegetable mix mashed up, she licked the steaks and vegetable mixed, so I chopped the steaks up into small chunks which she just chewed up a bit and spit out, so then I tried to blend the meat which majorly clogged my blender due to it not being great but broke the meat down further, again she just licked it and played with it. The next day I gave her half a whole chicken, this is the greatest success we've had, she ate most of it bones and meat, but the next time we fed her we gave her a chicken leg and she wouldn't touch it, aswell as some liver that I tried giving whole and cutting up small but she wouldn't even lick the liver. Today I tried giving her beef again, I froze it this time in which she wouldn't eat but once it defrosted a little she would eat some pieces but only those with a big chunk of fat on and even then she gave up after a few mouthfuls. The next thing I tried was just cooking the steak for a few seconds, and then giving to her, this worked with small pieces only and she ate a fair bit until she realised what I was doing by chewing it a couple times noticing it was raw in the middle and spitting it back out. I also read that it may be due to not getting sufficient exercise, we normally walk her for an hour maybe abit longer down the park when i get home from work and every other day my partner takes her out on a bike ride for half hour on her lunch break, the past few days I made sure she was knackered other than today cause I've been majorly busy but it didn't make a difference either. Pretty much ran out of options now and hoping someone has some magic advice up their sleeve to help! I would like to stick to the raw diet if I can get her to eat it as I've done so much research on it but I cant get her to eat the meat let alone organs, vegetables and fruit! Only really got 2 options left; leave her to starve for 4+ days if she doesn't eat the food we put down but i'm pretty sure this wont work as I said previously she will just eat the bare minimum to tide her over or just starve herself for the 3 days max we did try this. Or our final attempt at prepping the food is to mince/grind the meat and other components together, which i'm currently waiting for the go ahead to pick up from robert dyas but I kind of want her to eat in the upcoming week.

Then I'd stick to one food (that you want her to eat) and stick to a scheduled feeding routine , if she don't eat take it away to the next feeding , the only time id start to worry about her skipping meals would be if she started loosing weight/condition , has she had a full work up/ check over at the vets 

I have a dog that used to be uber fussy  -   would not eat the same meal two days running  -  had to be something different for each meal  - he would happily go days without eating  just like your pup.  

I found the one thing he will always eat  - even when very ill  (as he was around 18 months ago)  and now he gets that thing with every meal - and will nearly always eat the whole thing.

Bone broth.    My boys are addicted to it and now wont eat a meal without it swimming in bone broth  -    I am absolutely delighted   - it contains so many nutrients  that I dont worry if he actually misses a couple of days food.   Look at the list below:-

BONE BROTH

VITAMINS

B6

B12

C

D

K

THIAMIN

NIACIN

MINERALS

ZINC

IRON

CALCIUM

MAGNESIUM

POTASSIUM

COPPER

PHOSPHORUS

SILICON

SULPHUR

AMINO ACIDS

ARGANINE

GLUTAMINE

GLYCINE   AND PROLINE

ALSO

CHONDRITIN

GELATIN

GLUCOSAMINE

HYALAURONIC ACID

RIBOFLAVIN

TRACE MINERALS

Sorry for the large print etc - its copied from my spreadsheet.   Whilst it is not a complete list of the nutrients your dog needs  -  it will provide many of the most important ones.   One of its main benifits is that 99% of dogs will lap this up  (and eat the meat in it) even if they are completely off their food  when ill.    If you need to know how to make it properly - just shout.    If you have a slow cooker then its easy  -  I got one purely for making bone broth (we are vegetarian so no real use for a slow cooker).  

I am a raw feeder (for around 14 years) - but agree with  BB&S  - if your dog wants a home cooked meal rather than raw at the moment  - feed it  - it is the second-best food you can provide for your dog.     My fussy boy has only really begun to eat properly at 4 years of age  -  last year when I started the bone broth.    Also have you tried lightly scrambled eggs?   it was another thing I could usually get Marley to eat  (have you tried a raw whisked egg)?

Feel free to message me if you think I can help

Archived