Thin coat

Ssooz

Hey, new guy here, figured I’d ask here for input before going to the vet. 

i’ve got a Siberian Husky which turned 8 years old a couple days ago.

For atleast the past year I noticed that he shed WAY less fur than he would before. By less I mean pretty much none of the thick patches that usually shed around summer.

Now that winter is around the corner, we’ve already have a few episodes of cold weather and a little snow, but the dog has a very thin but even coat. I can see the skin thru the fur when petting/brushing it.

He is outside between 4 and 12 hours a day since he’s little so he’s seen cold but I noticed now thay he wants to come in more often (guessing hes cold). 

i added 2 pictures. First one is I think Winter 2018 whereas the other one is a couple weeks ago. He weighs about the same although he looks skinnier.

You can see the torso is kinda pinkish and between the rear legs has very little fur. The sides are thin too. I should get better pictures. 

Any idea why that would be?

Thank you!

-Alex

B5938A90-B72D-4277-80EE-B25000508822.jpeg

E6893FDB-9338-4B71-8BD5-AA3644351987.jpeg

Is he scratching?   A couple of searches brought up these:

https://topdogtips.com/dog-hair-loss/

and this one

Causes of hair loss in dogs

Alopecia in dogs can be a result of a number of skin conditions and cases can range from gradual to acute. The most common causes of hair loss in dogs include:

• Mange, an occurrence caused by the mite ‘Demodex’
  • A disruption in the growth of hair follicles caused by trauma, infection, immune disease or endocrine system abnormalities
  • Hair follicle inflammation
  • Allergic reactions: this may be to food or items in your dog’s environment
  • Diet and feeding: poor diet can often be a cause of hair loss in dogs
  • Parasites and fleas: these can cause intense itching and you may notice your dog losing hair around their lower back, inner thighs, neck and ears
  • Bacterial skin infections or hot spots
  • Ringworm: if the cause is ringworm, it will typically display as circular patches of flaky, red, hairless patches
  • Overgrooming: grooming is obviously normal, but sometimes dogs may do it excessively due to stress or pain
  • Seasonal alopecia: some dogs may experience hair loss each autumn which may take around 6 – 12 months to regrow. This type is most common in Boxers, Bulldogs, Dobermans and Staffordshire Bull Terriers
  • Inherited: alopecia in dogs can be inherited if your dog’s mother of father suffered from it

More widespread hair loss in your dog’s coat may indicate a more specific disease, so it’s always important to see your vet as soon as you suspect your dog may be losing their fur.

He isnt scratching, his diet has been the same for years with the same food. Nothing changed in our routine to make him stressful. He's got his visit at the vet every spring. Its not really like a hairloss which would affect certain spots.

His fur is even all around the body, only it is thin. Thanks for the reply

Archived