What is the best dog food to put a young Husky on?

Ryns Momma

You could be opening a can of worms here !  we have everything from kibble feeders, wet food feeders, home cooked feeders and raw feeders !

Everyone is different - different views, different circumstances, different budgets.     No one view is  'best'.   We are all individuals and therefore come to different conclusions to the same question.

I am in the raw food camp   (dug in deep and entrenched).  Please bear this in mind with my comments.   Also bear in mind these are just my opinions (albeit backed up by study/science in most cases).

You need to think about what works for you  - and how much true nutrition you want to give your dog.   Kibble -  the only way it sticks together is through starch.   Whilst differing from 'normally accepted' viewpoints - dogs can, in fact, digest starch  -  they have adapted to do so in the last 10,000 years or so  - however they have no dietary requirement for it  (and having to digest starch takes away quite a lot of their digesting ability for other foodstuff).   Even grain free kibble contains  large amounts of starch (eg pea)  - otherwise you would end up with a large bag of powdery bits.    Also please think about the long long list of added ingredients,  vitamins, minerals, fish oil  etc.     Ask yourself why they are added  ............................... the answer is they are added because these are destroyed in the manufacturing process!    A couple of other things to consider is  that unless you are buying the best quality - most expensive type of kibble,  the minerals added are usually one of these types (from best to worst)  -    citrate,  chelate,   sulphate,   oxide.    If you look on the back of the pack and see either of the last two  - put it back on the shelf.    All kibbles that I am aware of contain fish oil   -  now we all know how beneficial fish oil is to our dogs   -   however from the second the bag is opened this oil begins to oxidize  - and will cause inflammation in your dog.   (I can provide the science behind this statement if needed).    Even if you supply fish oil separately, only buy oil in glass bottles,  (oxygen leaches through plastic bottles) - and buy the smallest bottle you can  - however every time the bottle is opened more oxygen gets to the fish oil - and the more the oil oxidizes.   Lastly the added vitamin are ones that have been chemically (artificially) produced   -  these are mirror-images of natural vitamins  -  they are still  'vitamins'  however they are not easily recognised by the body - and therefore a large proportion go through the body undigested.   (can provide the science behind that statement)

The best type of dry food you can give your dog is dehydrated raw food (given with water to rehydrate it).    I know this seems expensive at first glance  -  however you will be storing up far less problems in your dog's future.

If you want to feed your dog without taking out another mortgage   -  you might think about raw feeding  -  it is still more expensive than feeding a run-of-the-mill kibble food  -  especially if you buy the commercially produced raw complete meals  -  but if you prepare the food yourself you can feed your dog for around the same as a decent quality kibble fed dog   -  or less.    This way you can be confident that he/she is getting 100% whole nutrition that his body will recognize fully  as  'food'  - what his body has been designed to eat for hundreds of thousands of years.

I freely admit I am biased   -  I have been raw feeding for around 14 years  -  I buy about  15% of my dogs food already prepared for me  - the rest I do from scratch  -  and on a pension  (I am also a 40+ year vegetarian).   My dogs are carnivores (mostly  -  about 95%)  as have their ancestors been going back over 40 million years.

As I said right at the start - we are all individuals  -  what is right for some is not right for others

• 1 month later...

I have a husky too and since he was 3 months old we tried to feed him with all the proteins he needs. We asked our doctor to prescribe us some good food that will increase his strength, his power, and he will just have a healthy lifestyle like humans are supposed to follow too. He also recommended me to buy him some Ace Antlers that he will chew and strengthen his teeth too. He said it is great for young dogs especially. You may try them too and see how your dog reacts to them.

16 hours ago, Leather said:

I have a husky too and since he was 3 months old we tried to feed him with all the proteins he needs. We asked our doctor to prescribe us some good food that will increase his strength, his power, and he will just have a healthy lifestyle like humans are supposed to follow too. He also recommended me to buy him some Ace Antlers that he will chew and strengthen his teeth too. He said it is great for young dogs especially. You may try them too and see how your dog reacts to them.

Antlers are bone   -  VERY strong bone  -  I would not advise you giving them to your dog if you want him to retain his teeth intact.   However for getting rid of puppy teeth when he is teething - they would be excellent.   For a puppy of that age  (and most ages) the only thing I would recommend are lamb's ribs.

• 4 weeks later...

You can safely give royal canin, but it is mandatory for puppies. There are also new feeds for purebred dogs on the advice of a veterinarian. I talked to the owners and various veterinarians and realized that you just need to mix ordinary home-made food and special food. Dogs need to eat quality food and the veterinarian said that they also need vitamins and various supplements https://petsmatters.net/best-dog-food-for-huskies/ this is important for the bones and skeleton. Dogs are very active, energetic and cheerful, so they need a strong diet for this, and this option is suitable for me. This is true during growth.

11 hours ago, TedyBo said:

you can safely give royal canin, but it is mandatory for puppies. There are also new feeds for purebred dogs on the advice of a veterinarian.

What is mandatory for puppies????    

2 hours ago, wolfpup said:

What is mandatory for puppies????    

mars bars...lol  no just kidding any food made by the mars company can stay on the shelf as far as I am concerned same as food recommended by the vet any vet, 9 times out of 9 just a money making machine for the vet.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:50 PM, Ryns Momma said:

I have a Husky that is almost a year old. Her prior owner provided me with "Iams Healthy Weight" that he was feeding her but she really seems to hate it. She barely touches it. What is a good food to put her on?

I used this for my puppy and have the same problems. At first, you should consult with your veterinary...Perhaps your husky just need the right joint supplement, I heard they grow to fast.

Archived