My German Shepherd-Husky Is More Than A Picky Eater...HELP!!!!

BirdCatDogMom93

I'm not sure if this the right place to post/ask this, but I need some serious advice. I have a neutered male German Shepsky and he's a beautiful boy; absolutely beautiful, sweet and loving. However, he has this **** picky eater syndrome but it's more than just pickiness. He refuses to eat his food, no matter what brand or tricks to coax him into wanting to eat. We've tried adding warm water, can food, shredded beef treats and ****, even crushed cookies but none of these tricks/methods work! We can't afford the expensive brands of food like Blue Buffalo, TOTW, much less the Purina Pro-Plan so right now, he's on Purina DogChow Chicken flavor. He has a sensitive stomach (which our vet stated Sheps suffer from gastrointestinal issues) so chicken flavor is mild and easy on his stomach. I also know he's part Husky and needs the richer meats like beef, lamb, salmon, etc but with his sensitive stomach and picky eating habits, it's tough. He's not medically sick and hasn't eaten anything he shouldn't have. Yes, we have cats and birds but their food is put in another room where he doesn't venture. He sticks around the living room all day until we go to bed so it's not like he snuck and ate the cat/bird food.
Now, I'm sure those of you who are reading this, are thinking "That's just a picky eater, so what?" but I'm here to tell you that he's more than picky. He refuses to eat his food altogether! He shows no interest in it at all, even with the can food mixed in with it. Our vet for some reason (we're thinking about switching) refuses to give him an appetite stimulant so we went over his head and purchased Entyce; an appetite stimulant for dogs and that was a waste of money because if anything, it made him lose his non-appetite even more and he fought off the hunger stimulation. This dog is ridiculous, I just don't know what else I can do. We do the method where we leave the bowl down and if he doesn't eat then take it away, but that doesn't work. Perhaps we don't do that enough, I don't know!
I'm his handler/trainer and my mom argues with me when I suggest methods that could work so avoiding arguments, we push them aside and go back to older methods that don't work. He wears a training shock collar and my mom thinks that because he wears it for training, has interrupted his interest in eating but he started this not-eating sh*t far before we ever considered the idea of using/purchasing the collar. Over the last 3-4 months, it's grown worse because at least in the past, he nibbled on a few pieces that coaxed him to eating but now, absolutely freaking nothing! He doesn't have a cold for if that were the case, we'd completely understand for he wouldn't be able to smell the food.
He's as active as he can be with toys around the house and he chases the laser spot but now it seems, he's lost interest in that too. We live in Las Vegas, so right now, it's still Summer and he doesn't like the heat so I can't take him for long/short walks to stimulate his appetite. My mom and I love him to death and it's breaking our hearts for we'retrying everything to get him to eat but he just isn't meeting us halfway. He looks at us with his big brown eyes and our melts like soup because you can see it in his face/eyes as if he's pleading, "What's wrong with me? Help me?" but what can we do?
His name is Aguilar and he's a German Shepherd-Husky and will be 2 years in December.

Is he being walked at all?  Huskies do self regulate and skip days of food if theyre not hungry , my boy even the gets walked 2 , 3 times a day (depending on the day/length of walk) and still sometimes skips several days of food , if hes low energy then he won't need as much food/calories so he won't eat 

Can you get a tin of sardines in spring water  (not oil at this stage, - and definately not sunflower oil - it is highly inflammatory)  -   I have one very picky eater,  will not eat for a few days at a time,  will not eat the same food 2 days running.    I know what it is like to have to get by on a small income  -  but try him on say scrambled eggs one day,  maybe a bit of mince another  -  even try putting this into his normal food.

Loss of sense of smell  might be at the root of this  - as you have mentioned  -  or it could be that some of the food is causing him discomfort.   One of my boys got even worse last year and I was at my wits end .......................  then I found out he had food allergies and what I was feeding him was actually causing him pain  - no wonder he did not want to eat!

I have yet to come across a dog that would not tuck into a raw beaten egg  -  try it,  if he will not immediately eat it raw,  try half cooking it  (preferably not in the microwave)  to get him used to runny things.   If he will eat cold/cool scrambled egg  then he will eat a raw one once he gets used to it.

Let us know how you get on

Archived