Dog Walks

Bee888

Hello husky family

Im Bee and this is Lucifer he is almost 7 months old now.. Just needing some advice pleaseeee. 

Since the past two months whenever I take him for walks especially when we reache the streets near my house he starts to sink his paws into the ground and he refuses to get up. I've tried using high value treats (different types because I know he gets bored of them) and his toys but none of them get him moving. At time I’ve waiting for about 15 minutes and he  still won’t budge.I've tried pulling him lightly cause I don’t want to hurt his neck. He's started to do this outside the gate of our house. I literally have to carry him back home every time. I'm very upset that he refuses to listen used to walk him twice a day for 30 mins  but now we take him for at least 1-2 hours  so he can release all his energy, he's still active at home and generally he's very obedient indoors and in our back yard but outside the house it's a completely different story. I’ve raised him since he was a lil pup and it breaks my heart because I don’t know what I am doing wrong. I did go to the vet and she tried to sell me this collar for anxiety which costs around $100 apparently this has some type of scent which reminds pups of their mums. I don’t know then she started talking about depression pills but my pup was only 9 weeks at the time so I thought it’s too early for medication. Anyway let’s not get sidetracked, am I the only one experiencing this? 

P.S I’ve read every Siberian Husky book available lol I’m gonna go crazy if I have to read another one :(DEAF5BE7-32EC-408D-8727-876949340551.thumb.jpeg.8b1fd0d385d53a354da498d84e1d91f2.jpeg

Umm nothing’s really changed well not that I know of. I did take him to a dog park last month. I am thinking to maybe take him again (closest one is like an hour away) last time we went he got really excited he was so happy. Because the park we normally go to is pretty quiet we don’t see many dogs. Maybe he misses the dog park but I’ll try that.

Thank you so much for the advice :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bee,

First of, I'm no Vet nor do I have a lot of experience with Huskies, but from what I've read and learned from other Husky owner, I do no think that medication is the right way of dealing with your problem (yet/ever?).

Our general approach to training with our 7 months old husky, is to set him up for success. In this case, I would reduce the duration of the walk or avoid the general area where he usually puts the breaks. Try finishing every walk on a high note, before he stopped and gradually increase again from there.

Also, make the most out of your walks and add obedience training when ever you can. This way, it will keep his mind busy too and that will tire him out and keep him from being mischievous.

Again, no Vet, nor a particularly experienced Husky owner - just an amateur aiming to provide the best possible.

Keep us posted!

Archived