My lazy and aloof husky

Maikusumoto

Hello fellow husky lovers!

I recently got me a 4 month old husky, I don't know anything about husky, so if you could please help and advice I would much appreciate it. So, my husky's with me for about 2 weeks now. I have a mixed breed dog (mongrel) and my husky loves her, plays with her, bugs her all the time. But I had to temporarily give my mongrel to my aunt (vet's advice) since my husky is not yet fully vaccinated. Then my husky became more aloof and lazy, she just lays all day, sleeps all day and doesn't play anymore. I call and she wouldn't come unless she needs something from me. After eating and drinking she leaves me and lay around and sleep. Is it a normal husky behavior? Is there something wrong with my husky? please help.

It is quite normal for a husky to ignore you   - unless they can see something in it for them  ..........................  but this does not usually manifest itself so early in my experience.   It looks as if she is missing her playmate.    Not all huskies bond tightly with us  - some are a little aloof   -  I have two rescues,  one can not bear to be away from me unless he has his buddy by his side  - the other however will only come near me when he wants a treat  or feeding  - at all other times he is either in the kitchen or the garden or even the passage  ...................... basically any room or place that I am not in!

Hopefully other, more experienced owners can help   (I've only had huskies for four years)

Wow, I didn't know their personalities varies so much. They're so adorable and full of personalities, I'm a new Husky owner and this is very new to me. Thank you very much for explaining, I really appreciate it.

10 hours ago, wolfpup said:

It is quite normal for a husky to ignore you   - unless they can see something in it for them  ..........................  but this does not usually manifest itself so early in my experience.   It looks as if she is missing her playmate.    Not all huskies bond tightly with us  - some are a little aloof   -  I have two rescues,  one can not bear to be away from me unless he has his buddy by his side  - the other however will only come near me when he wants a treat  or feeding  - at all other times he is either in the kitchen or the garden or even the passage  ...................... basically any room or place that I am not in!

Hopefully other, more experienced owners can help   (I've only had huskies for four years)

I would just say to have patience -  try to get your pup to trust you and want to be with you (treats and games will help)  -  the one I have that wont come near me has had a bad experience with female humans in his past  -  so I am still trying to over come that  -  we are getting there  -  but it wil take time  -  he has come a long way in the last 9 months  -  but it will take many more months before he will fully trust  a female human again  (if ever).   

You got your pup at 4 months  -  you do not know what hapened before you got her.   My other boy I got at 3 months  -  and i know I was his 4th owner  -  he had issues growing up  -  but he learned to  trust me and now our bond is so close  I could not wish for a better companion (except that his is just a little  toooooooooo spoilt  !!

33 minutes ago, wolfpup said:

I would just say to have patience -  try to get your pup to trust you and want to be with you (treats and games will help)  -  the one I have that wont come near me has had a bad experience with female humans in his past  -  so I am still trying to over come that  -  we are getting there  -  but it wil take time  -  he has come a long way in the last 9 months  -  but it will take many more months before he will fully trust  a female human again  (if ever).   

You got your pup at 4 months  -  you do not know what hapened before you got her.   My other boy I got at 3 months  -  and i know I was his 4th owner  -  he had issues growing up  -  but he learned to  trust me and now our bond is so close  I could not wish for a better companion (except that his is just a little  toooooooooo spoilt  !!

Yes, I am very much willing to get him to like me. He's so adorably snobbish. 

I hope everything gets better with you and your aloof husky. 

Hahaha, aww I hope some day my pup would just be like your (little spoilt) pup so close and full of trust!

• 2 weeks later...

Your pup has a lot of learning to do, liking you probably isn’t top of his list just yet. It takes time to bond and as Wolfpup said you don’t know his back story. I rehomed a husky 3 years ago when she was 6. She is not a dog who comes for or looks for affection, for her to stay in the same room as us is a bonus, apart from her pong, she is either outside or in the dining room. It makes me sad to think she clearly doesn’t need us, nor has she any idea how to play, she just about runs after a ball but once she catches it and realises it isn’t alive or edible she loses interest. She has lovely nature and a huge local fan club who all think she is beautiful so I just have to be content with basking in reflected glory.

Archived