Hi, new Husky owner here...

Lennon

Wow, thanks for the warm welcome folks, much appreciated. Now I'm not sure if I should move this over to the health forum, if so, mods please let me know. Anyway, just gone over Lennon's DT paperwork and when we adopted him 2 weeks ago he was dead on 22kg.

From what i have read/listened to etc, that seems to be a bit on the light side, and yes you can definitely feel his ribs and spine!

Now knowing how important exercise is to Husky's I'm loathed to lessen his exercise time. As I said about 2 hrs a day walking plus some time with the flirt pole. So i guess the other option is to up his calorie intake. 

So currently feeding him twice a day, 200g of tinned wet food and tbh I havnt been weighing the dry mixer, was told by DT to feed 165g mixed in. Ive just been giving him 3 handfuls each meal time (breakfast, about 8am and dinner about 4pm).

He is fed 30mins after exercise. 

We have not noticed an weight gain, which after just two weeks would probably be difficult to see anyway, but, we have noticed him taking an interest in food in general, outside of his feeding times (ie. accepting snacks/treats and even longingly watching us eat too), which suggests to me his appetite is increasing.

If this is the case what would you suggest I do to let him bulk up a bit?

Decrease exercise? (after all he didn't get that much in DT)

Increase his calorie intake in general?

If so, what elements should I increase, both wet and dry food, or one or the other?

Sorry for bombarding you all with info and questions, especially as so new here, but all your help is very much appreciated

ATB

Lennon and Russ

Archived