jumping and Nipping

Hunter/

Helllo,I have an 11 month old Male,This is my first Husky.He is not affectionate doesn't like cuddles to which I don't understand.He won't stop jumping at my family and people who come to visit.He is very nippy dog doesn't like you to pet him he just trie to nip.Im hoping that someone can give me some advise please,He is such a beautiful dog and he is loved and spoilt but only wish he would stop his behaviour has anyone got any advise please.Thankyou.

Nipping must be stopped   - now   - it can escalate.   Others can tell you what worked for them   - but with one of mine  I used to yelp loudly whenever he nipped, pushed him away, turned away and not played any more.    I believe that Marley was like this because he was taken from his mum too early so did not get the  bite inhibition lessons from his mum and siblings.   

He is also a jumper   (or should say was  - he is moderating it)   It is taking time and constant reminders that jumping up at me is not allowed  -  for me it has been a case of  stepping back and to the side whenever he was jumping up at me  - so he never actually landed on me,   putting a hand out flat in front of me  so if he did manage to contact me  my hand would be on the flat of his head and pushed him down.   Now when I see him getting ready to jump up (when he is over excited)  I stand up, put my hand out  -  and he does not jump,  or it is a very half-hearted little one that would never reach me anyway.    

Archived