Introducing an aggressive husky to my husky

PapayaSalad

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and I hope this is the right sub.

I have a 1.5 years old male neutered husky. He's somewhat trained and can follow basic commands. Recently, I reconnected with a friend from high school and found out her family also had a female, about 2 years old, unfixed husky. They got the her as a puppy and they didn't expect her to be the size she is right now. Long story short, the husky has been locked up in the backyard for almost a year with no walks or any social times with the family or other dogs. Though the backyard is big enough for her to run around. I have been spending time with her and taking her on walks for the last few days. She is the sweetest husky. The problem is when I tried to introduce my husky to her through a fence, she literally tried to bite my dog's head off. I tried almost every positive reinforcement tricks I knew but she wouldn't stop. It really breaks my heart to see her lives in such conditions. The family refuses to put her up for adoption but they has agreed to let me adopt her. I truly want to bring her home but at the same time I don't want my husky to be dramatized. It's not fair to him. 

Currently, no one in that family wants to put any effort in helping the dog transition and I'm really on my own in this. Part of this post is for me to vent (sorry :( ) but I do hope I could get some advice on whether or not to adopt the dog and how to correctly one-man the process.

Thank you!

it is always best to do a meet in neutral grounds where both dogs are not guarding anything backyard, toys and food...hope you wil be able to organise that one then you will see better if they can get alone now or in the future...

Archived