Huskies not interested in breakfast

Hill777

My two female huskies are refusing to eat their breakfast in the morning. Their routine hasn't changed and their environment hasn't changed. This started on Saturday after their annual vet visit on Friday. 

They both get fed in their own bowls inside of their own separate crates. It helps prevent them from eating each other's food. Tala has to eat with her door closed while Kaia does not. I discovered last year that Kaia was creeping into her sister's crate eating her food. While you would think that means I should shut Kaia's door she just would flat out never eat her food while Tala doesn't care one way or the other. Come to present day and they won't eat breakfast. 

They have no loss of energy, regular poops, and aren't throwing up. I do eventually get them to eat their breakfast and when it's time to feed them at night they eat normally with no issues. I've tried just leaving them to their own devices for awhile, but they just lay down and won't eat when I do that. Has anyone experienced this?

The usual advice is to let them miss that meal  (unless puppies) and they usually eat the next ok.

However, if they are adults   - why not just feed once a day?     I do feed my adult boys twice daily   -  but their 'breakfast' just consists of a tin of sardines in spring water   -  its the only way I can get one of my boys to have his meds  (cbd oil and colostrum, together with  Billy No Mates herbal flea treatment).   The amount of food is so small it is not really counted in their daily allowance of food.

You do not say how they are fed  i.e.  raw, wet food, kibble etc.  Could having a different breakfast to their evening meal help?

The reason I still feed them twice a day as adults is that when I don't they throw up otherwise. For some reason, if I feed them "too late" they will consistently throw up before I have a chance to feed them. I have also skipped the meal before when they won't eat, but then one of them inevitably still throws up. It happens more with Tala and Kaia tends to be ok with it. 

I currently feed them Taste of the Wild Bison mix. I tried I think two other kinds of dry kibble and their poop was always soft. The Taste of the Wild seems to be better for them. When you say a different breakfast what are you thinking of? Just another flavor of kibble or an entirely different type of meal? 

I was thinking of something else completely.    My boys are raw fed   -  but they only get tinned sardines in spring water for 'breakfast'  ............  1 tin between two adult males  -  which is why I do not count it in their meal quota   - as I said the reason is to get Marley's meds down him.       Because it is the only time they get tinned sardines  - they always eat them   - have never gotten  'fed up'  with the same breakfast  (I've got fussy herberts).

Marley also will throw up if he misses meals so I understand your reasons for feeding twice.   However for him it is enough to get his half-tin of sardines  -  around 5.30-6a.m.   - dinner for them is 12 noon    with raw lamb's ribs 1 each every couple of hours (max of four ribs in any one day)  - which for them is a major treat  ............ but in reality forms the bone portion of their raw diet.

When your dogs throw up  does it contain anything?  Is it clear liquid (mainly water) or is it yellow  i.e. bile?    

Archived