Reflux/Sickness

tedhuskerdad

Hello all!

It’s my first post and was just after some advice. We have a 2 year old female husky who’s having a bit of problems with reflux and throwing up. It seems to be mainly bile. We go to the vets when it happens they say there are no blockages or anything. She’s had bloods and scans previously and she’s fine for about 1–2 months and then gets another episode. We feed her on butternut box, which we’re thinking of changing but she’s a fussy eater and the only thing she enjoys to eat. 

I would love some advice if possible.

Many thanks 

Ted

One of my boys  kept bringing up bile around every couple of weeks,   did not think much of it at the time,   -  then  he became really ill  and had tests,  after I saw blood in the yellow bile vomit.

Turned out he had food allergies -  to 9 different foods  -  among them  soya (high positive), potatoes (high positive) wheat, corn, rice, oats, carrots, peas,sugar beet   ........................ the worrying thing was is that he was raw fed  - not kibble fed!    Now I have a problem with soya in particular - so I have none in the house so was at a loss as to how he could have come into contact with  - same with oats and sugar beet.     It turns out that he was getting soya from the meat he was eating  (mainly from poultry and pork - his two favourite meats)   The vet thinks it was the slow  drip-drip of foodstuffs that he was allergic to that lowered his immune system enough for him to develop salmonella poisoning  -  and bleeding stomach ulcers.

Several months later - ulcers healed, leaky gut near enough healed (for now), no pork or poultry allowed,  and only grass fed beef , lamb, wild venison, kangaroo, wild caught fish only (all farmed fish are fed soya) etc so on a restricted diet  - he still  has the off days   -but bile vomit is now about once every few months.  If it happens I have digestive enzymes on hand  -  these help fully digest the food - so its far less likely to cause problems if any escapes through the gut.

Really might be worth getting your girl food allergy tested,   dont just accept the fact that it happens.

As to her being a fussy eater  .............. dogs usually prefer to stick to what they get used to eating after they are weaned  -  if they are weaned on kibble  - then they are programmed to eat kibble foods  (that's why food manufacturers often offer free food to crufts winners,  -  if you get the dam  - you get the litter  -  more income for the kibble manufacturers).

Is there any reason you have not just prepared her raw food from scratch?    I know its easier to use a commercial preparation (I use some myself)  -  but you have no control over what is used in the food - or what that food has eaten before becoming your dog's dinner ect  (for tough cases like mine).   Preparing from scratch can take a little bit of thinking about  (correct ratio of  meat to bone to fats, ensuring they get all their vitamins and minerals etc)  but it works out around half the cost of purchasing a ready made raw diet.    If ever you think of transferring to a  made-from-scratch raw diet I have around 30 articles to help you on your way  -  and there are several raw feeders on here that will happily guide you over any persieved problem areas for you.

On 7/9/2020 at 11:23 AM, tedhuskerdad said:

It’s my first post and was just after some advice. We have a 2 year old female husky who’s having a bit of problems with reflux and throwing up. It seems to be mainly bile. We go to the vets when it happens they say there are no blockages or anything. She’s had bloods and scans previously and she’s fine for about 1–2 months and then gets another episode. We feed her on butternut box, which we’re thinking of changing but she’s a fussy eater and the only thing she enjoys to eat. 

How often is she fed? A couple of ours have the occasional bile puke but we feed once a day (and they're so-called hunger pukes - from excess bile)

Archived