Sleeping habits/ outdoor

Hadul

👋🏻 hello! 
So my dad recently bought a Husky of 14months old. He naturally spends all day long inside with us but at night time we have to put him outside, mind you, it’s secured there’s no way he could attack or be attacked/stolen. The only problem is that every time  he keeps on crying which is heartbreaking to me yet my parents won’t let him in. This is actually his 5th night with us on the two first days he cried and banged on the door nonstop the third one he cried but no banging,  same on the fourth and tonight he only cried when someone passed by him. Do you guys think he’ll get accustomed to the situation? And does it hurt him to be outside? I read that they’re very clingy and would make those noises regardless which is somewhat true because if i live him for only 10/15 minutes he’ll start crying. And i wonder what will happen when the quarantine and corona mess is over and I’ll have to go for hours?

If your dog is with you all day   - why then shut him out at night??   I really do not understand.    He is obviously distressed by this.    Huskies for the most part WANT to be with their owners   -   they were bred for thousands of years to sleep with the family   - especially the children  - in order to keep the kids warm through the night.

Why distress a new dog  - that will already be suffering from anxiety, stress etc having changed owners, home, environment, routine................... everything he has known all his life.   It does not bode well (in my experience)  for yourselves or more importantly for the poor dog.

From what you say the impression is that the reason the dog is kept outside at night is more for security than companionship.    If this is even remotely the case - then you have gotten the wrong breed of dog  -  I dont know of a worse 'guard dog' on the planet.    Huskies are extremely sociable animals  -   better with two than alone  -  MUCH better with human companionship whenever they want it.

No, it’s not for security purposes, we live in a very well secured neighborhood but we just cannot keep him inside unfortunately. I read on this platform that many owners have their huskies sleep outside or does it depend on the dog whether it prefers to stay indoors or not? 
also how do you deal with his crying when you go to work? All of my family members work he eventually will have to stay by himself.

It really does depend on the dog  -  One of my boys is much happier outside than inside  -  the other is definitely a home-bird.     If he is to be spending time on his own  -  get him a playmate so he will at least have some company. Huskies do not do well on their own  and you could well find he becomes destructive due to the stress of being left alone.

Can I ask if you had done any research at all about the breed before getting him?    

Im afraid not. 
my dad just bought him from a family that had to move away. We had a malinois shepherd before this but obviously they’re waaaaay more different! I seek help because im obviously lost and hearing his cries breaks my heart i just hope to find a way to put a stop to his separation anxiety 

Why will your parents not have him in at night?    Huskies are not a breed of dog for inexperienced owners as a rule  (although everyone gets a husky for the first time initially)  - however most people do their researchfirst  so they know what they are letting themselves in for.   I hope other people chip in with advice for you.      Usually for separation anxiety you have to build up the time left alone slowly  -    but having been left all night probably from day one will have him already getting stressed as the night draws near.

I am sorry I cannot help you,  or your poor dog   -  I would never get a dog and leave him alone all night outside  -  others on here are more experienced   -  I have only had huskies for 4 years and still have much to learn myself  Hopefully one or more will see your post and be able to offer you some advice to help you both.

@robke

@Marc

@BingBlaze n Skyla

hi there!

Huskies are apart of the pack lifestyle. In a pack when an dog/wolf is isolated, to them, they are unwanted from the pack. When they are young, huskies strive for a grand amount of attention. If your huskie must be outside at night, adjust his independence to being outside. I’d recommend bringing him outside early afternoon, play with him so he becomes accustomed to being outside. It’s all about setting boundaries. So when he does come inside don’t let him sit on the couch, or lay in bed with your during the day. What that’ll do is essentially show where is at in the pecking  order. As far a noises, it’s pretty much a signature for the breed. Even mine, isn’t highly vocal but can definitely annoy the neighbors with his howling.

I hope this helps 😃

The hardest thing for us to really know is what the climate is like where you are. Thats one thing to be aware of with him being outside. That said, I have read people who do have theirs outside at night. The main things you need to ensure is that its seen as his safe space, the same as anything else with training. No different really to crate training. So ensure it's a place he wants to be. Make sure he has shelter when he needs it, can access outside the shelter when needed, can go to the toilet when needed. Have his toys out there, feed him out there etc. Anything at all that makes that space the place he feels the most comfortable.

You are going to get people who wont particularly agree with keeping him outdoors. But the reality is, there are many that do. You just need to ensure that if they are outdoors at night, they are well catered for and feel safe. The rest, unfortunately, is nothing more than just giving it time. If you dont get the basics right though, you are fighting a losing battle.

• Safe space
  • Place to shelter
  • Place to be comfortable
  • Toys are outdoors
  • Feeding is done outdoors
  • Dont ever use that space as punishment. For example, do not put him outside if he has done something wrong, otherwise you turn it into the negative place. So if ours fight, ours go outside and never ever in their crates. Because their crates is where they sleep and is their safe place. You need to do the opposite of that, as your outdoors is what you are trying to make his safe space.

As strange as it sounds, think of it like you would yourself. If somewhere is the the place where all the nice things happen, thats where you want to be. A dog is no different in that respect.

Well My country is situated in Northern Africa so we have a Mediterranean climate. The temperatures in summer average between 21 and 42 °C (although I have never witnessed in my 20 years of life a 42 degree)  (70 and 108 °F) and in winter drop to 10 to 12 °C (50 to 54 °F). 
Anyway he now sleeps inside I couldn’t leave him outside but he still cries every single time we leave him alone 😕 even if it’s for 5minutes , he’ll cry even if we are in the same room but is unable to see us (let’s just say we’re in the garden and i went the other way around to get something) andI cannot have another dog to keep him company. My brother is helping and said that he’ll have to get accustomed with being alone and that his crying is something natural that I shouldn’t be worrying about

Its probably just going to take time. Make sure you are not going back to him every time he cries. Treat him when he has been good when you are away from him etc. 

you can also try keeping your shirt or any other clothing with your scent with him while you are making him sleep alone. Your smell from clothes will help him sleep bit more comfortably in the start. This helped my pup.. but still if finds  way in our room want to sleep with us  :) .

• 2 weeks later...

Training for a dog who is going to be left starts with you leaving him alone, maybe 30 seconds and then return, act normally don’t swamp him with affection, gradually lengthen the time you are out of sight and each time you reappear, maybe speak to him but no over the top petting. It will take time, he has to get to understand that when you leave, you also return at some point, he should then relax. Remember you have taken a dog from his family and brought him to a place that is strange, you are strange, everything in it is new and strange and on top of that you started by locking him outside in yet another strange place.

My husky was 6 when I got her, she took being left alone very badly, peed, pooed, opened all the rooms looking for us, sat on a chair by the window and looked for us, it was a hard lesson for both of us working out what to do. She’s fine with it now. She prefers outside, she will often stay out even if it rains but she has a shelter and we have a dog flap so she can come in if she chooses too. She isn’t a people dog particularly, she’s not affectionate much and she sure isn’t a guard dog of any sort, someone could empty the house and she’d just be stretched out in the garden lol. I hope you can help him settle in, far too many huskies seem to just be moved on because their owners had no idea how to manage them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived