3 month old puppy with runs

Ok I've read most of the newer topics here about how to approach a puppy with runs food wise and she has a vet appointment Saturday evening to find out if it is a parasite or what not affecting her. I'm going to be feeding her chicken and rice tonight with some pedalyte (or however that's spelled) to stave off any dehydration but my question is how much to feed her? She's normal playful, drinking well, eating fine. Um, after two weeks of having her we switched foods slowly and she has been fine on her new food until she had her shots last week; which is when all of this started. She had great poo yesterday morning which was the first since her shots but it went straight back to runs. I'm at a loss of what maybe causing it; hence the vet appointment.

Tiffany, runs are not fun, as I'm sure you are fully aware. Some dogs won't drink pedialyte, so if yours won't good old water is fine. When a dog has diarrhea, it often times helps to withhold food for 24 hours, followed by boiled rice and chicken for two days. Feed 1/2 cup boiled white rice mixed with 1/4 cup boiled chicken, twice a day. Canned pumpkin (not the pie filling pumpkin with spices) also helps firm up the stools. A couple tablespoons twice a day. After two days of rice and chicken, if the diarrhea is stopped, you can start her back on regular food. If you decide to switch foods, you can normally start off by mixing the new food with boiled rice for a few days to help with the transition.

The shots she had may or may not have caused the diarrhea. Most likely not, but it's possible. What food are you normally feeding her now? Does the food contain corn or wheat? If so, how close to the top of the ingredients list are they listed? How much per feeding? How many feedings per day? Does her abdomen seem bloated or normal? Some Huskies tolerate one food fine, and other Huskies can't tolerate the very same food.

When you go to the vet, take a stool sample with you for testing. Hopefully, the vet will find out what's causing the diarrhea. Otherwise, it may just be a simple problem like the food she's on, which can easily be remedied.

Thank you Mike those are actually very informative and have really helped put my mind at ease. Maybe a vet trip is premature lol but I think I'll still do it to be sure. Maybe she ate something funny and I just don't have a clue O_o lol wouldn't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last ^_^ joys of puppy hood woot!

Thanks Dave. She's on Natural Balance which is an allergy formula food with no wheat or corn or anything like that. She eats 1 1/2 cups 3 times a day and today I noticed her tummy seemed bloated but wasn't yesterday. It's not really bad but you can tell. We've with held her food 24hrs and I just gave her some chicken, rice, and pedialyte mix. I totally forgot about the pumpkin LOL I have that in case my sugar gliders have the runs for some reason.

So after all this and it's not a parasite should I switch her back to the Iams? I really don't like that food but she was on that when I got her. I switched her over slowly like suggested and she was doing great until her shots last Friday. What's odd is that her poo yesterday morning was firm a little squishy but whole. Then she started it all up again. I think it started Sunday. I'm a little at a loss for a cause though like Mike's links suggested she just may have gotten into something I don't know about.

If it's any help, our last Husky, Elke, would have bouts of loose stools. It would last for a few days, then clear up. She had that condition for the last few months of her life. Nothing helped. Zoya has had two bouts since we brought her home. Both times, she was over it in a couple of days. Sometimes, they do eat something that we are not aware of. I'd keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Not a big fan of IAMS, but you gotta go with what they can tolerate. I would still have a stool sample checked for parasites. It's important to rule that out, and more important to treat if that's her problem. The bloating can be caused by worms, but can also be caused by an upset tummy.

I'm pretty sure it's an upset tummy but again vet appointment will rule it parasite or not. What's the best way to get a stool sample for checking and does it matter how many days before the appointment we get it? (not that I want poo sitting around in a container or something for two days O_o)

poor pup :(

Great advice guys added to rep :up:

A sealed container is your best bet - especially if it's runny. If you don't have one - anything will do - a sealable food bag maybe? Just make sure it's clean before you use it. I'd get the sample lst thing Friday night if you're going to the vets saturday just in case you can't get one in the morning.

Paws crossed, hope she picks up soon please keep us posted as to how you get on xx

Stool samples can be gathered up to 12 hours before a scheduled test if the sample is kept cool, 18 to 24 hours before a scheduled test if kept refridgerated (uh, I don't think that will be happening in my fridge). I usually take a plastic sandwich bag with the ziploc top, turn it insideout and put my fingers inside. Pick up the stool with the plastic bag over my fingers, turn the bag rightside out, and zip the bag shut.

Ok I've read most of the newer topics here about how to approach a puppy with runs food wise and she has a vet appointment Saturday evening to find out if it is a parasite or what not affecting her. I'm going to be feeding her chicken and rice tonight with some pedalyte (or however that's spelled) to stave off any dehydration but my question is how much to feed her? She's normal playful, drinking well, eating fine. Um, after two weeks of having her we switched foods slowly and she has been fine on her new food until she had her shots last week; which is when all of this started. She had great poo yesterday morning which was the first since her shots but it went straight back to runs. I'm at a loss of what maybe causing it; hence the vet appointment.

My 5 year old sibe had the same problem, he would have hard stool one day and the runs the next. I kept switching his food for about a year before someone told me about Evo red meat. He did great on it, and I switched him over to Timberwolf Organics. My new 5 month old pup was on Wellness puppy food and she had the runs too, I switched her over to Orijen Puppy and she's been doing great. Evo red meat, timberwolf organic and Orijen are all grain free..maybe your pup would do better with grain free food.

My 5 year old sibe had the same problem, he would have hard stool one day and the runs the next. I kept switching his food for about a year before someone told me about Evo red meat. He did great on it, and I switched him over to Timberwolf Organics. My new 5 month old pup was on Wellness puppy food and she had the runs too, I switched her over to Orijen Puppy and she's been doing great. Evo red meat, timberwolf organic and Orijen are all grain free..maybe your pup would do better with grain free food.

Hi Mary, welcome to the pack :)

Hey Mary, welcome to the Pack. Good point on grain free food. Added to rep.

Well good news is she's healthy and it's not a parasite nor is she dehydrated. Bad thing is I think I switched formulas without realizing it. Long story short I grabbed a food that I thought was a different flavor turns out it's a whole different formula. So after the rice and chicken firmed her up a bit she's back on the fish flavor and doing ok. Little squishy so I don't know if we're going to end up at square one or not. I really don't want to go back to Iams I'm looking into other foods. My local stores don't offer Orijen, TOTW, or any of the other brands everyone is using so idk. We'll see how it goes. The food she is on is grain free and all that stuff. *shrug* I'm at a loss really I don't want to keep switching her but I don't want her tummy all upset either. She was really stinky and squishy on the iams as well so idk.

BTW welcome to the pack Mary ^_^

Well good news is she's healthy and it's not a parasite nor is she dehydrated. Bad thing is I think I switched formulas without realizing it. Long story short I grabbed a food that I thought was a different flavor turns out it's a whole different formula. So after the rice and chicken firmed her up a bit she's back on the fish flavor and doing ok. Little squishy so I don't know if we're going to end up at square one or not. I really don't want to go back to Iams I'm looking into other foods. My local stores don't offer Orijen, TOTW, or any of the other brands everyone is using so idk. We'll see how it goes. The food she is on is grain free and all that stuff. *shrug* I'm at a loss really I don't want to keep switching her but I don't want her tummy all upset either. She was really stinky and squishy on the iams as well so idk.

BTW welcome to the pack Mary happy.gif

well at least she's healthy :)

Have you thought about feeding raw rather than kibble hun?

Honestly I don't know anything much on Raw and feel iffy about it; though I'm starting to check into topics here about it. After one day back on her food she's got really squishy poo again. Not runny just not solid either. 'sigh' I'm kinda getting frustrated lol I don't is this normal after the first day on kibble after two days rice and chicken? I did manage to hunt down a store in our area that sells TOTW so idk if I should switch to that?

hi, isha used to get gastroentirisis (cant spell it) years ago, she got it 5 or 6 times, i used to starve her for 24 hours then give small amounts of chicken and rice for 48 hours and it always cleared up, hope this helps :rolleyes:

Hey Debs thanks for the advice I actually just did that with her and started her on her kibble again yesterday after the two days of rice and chicken and she went right back to the squishies. Not runs thank goodness.

Sara thanks for the idea Dave has already given me so much great advice I think I will shoot him a message, if he doesn't mind lol, and see if this might be better for her.

Thanks you guys for supporting a worrier mom ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd throw out an update on here Kiana's poo is totally normal now! Thanks to the wonderful advice from Dave and everyone else who responded she is happily eating 1 1/2 cup TOTW and I really have never been this excited about poo lol. Thanks again to everyone for the advice, thoughts, and support! ^_^

Isn't it great when the poo is not runny? It's like all is right with the world. At any rate, that's good news Tiffany. Just keep any eye on Kiana and see how she does on TOTW. Some dogs do very well on it, like our Zoya, while other dogs do get a bit of gas from it. I think the High Prairie is more prone to developing gas problems, as opposed to the Wetlands or the Pacific Stream.