Training Treats

I buy mine ready made from the local pet shop...I can give you the brand but as I am in the Netherlands I know that they do not sell them in the US...but they must do something similar where you are...

I dehydrate lamb's liver   -  my guys will not eat it raw  (or cooked)  but dehydrated it turned into a very high level treat.    One other thing I found to be excellent  (and cheap) is tinned  hot dog sausages  (ok not be best nutrition-wise  -  but they LOVED them)  cut each sausage up into very tiny pieces  -  one sausage was more than enough for an hour long training session.

So it’s kind of like lamb jerky?

He’s liked the chicken jerky but they’re big pieces 
I know he’d like the sausages too because he’s prone to stealing the kids hot dogs lol

thanks for the suggestions!!

Its worth investing in a cheap dehydrator  -  much less hassle than trying to use an oven   -  for meat to dehydrate without actually cooking it you need a maximum temp of 70 degrees  -  I usually dehydrate meat around 60 degrees - if its sliced thin enough  50 degrees  -  most ovens minimum temp is 100 degrees  so you have to leave the door ajar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

There are many great options for inexpensive treats that you can use for mental training with your dog. One option I know from https://www.servicedogregistration.org is to use training treats specifically designed for dogs. These treats are usually small and easy to eat, making them perfect for training sessions. Another option is to use regular dog treats that you can find at most pet stores. These treats are often less expensive than training treats and can be just as effective. Make sure to choose a treat that your dog loves and is easy to eat.