Puppy Growth after desexed

John7272

Hi I own a male husky puppy he is currently 5 months old and very small. He weighs only 12kg. I haven’t noticed any difference he looks the same as size as when he was 4 months and he is almost 6 months. I also want to desex him and heard If you desex a puppy before he hits puberty he will grow more is this true ?I give him a lot of food and nutrition (450 to 500g). he is not even near adult height or weight and he is 6 months in 2 weeks. Also if my dog is 5 months when will he have his next growth spurts.

kind regards John

6C97EE45-0433-4F33-B921-DABB6F6BA848.jpeg

Husky’s are traditionally a medium sized breed but they do vary, I have 2 males and researched desexing thoroughly and I decided against it. It’s something that’s advocated by vets due to pet overpopulation, understandably, and dogs neutered before puberty experience a delay in the closing of the growth plates due to a loss of hormones resulting in longer legs and a slight increase in height but in my opinion it’s not a reason to desex a dog because you want a bigger dog.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

19 hours ago, John7272 said:

I basically  have no choice because my dog suffers from cryptorchidism and I want to know how it affects my puppy’s growth 

You can wait till at least 12 months old before getting them neutered,  the testicle can still drop , if it hasnt by 12 months old then get him neutered,  by 12 months old they're more or less fully grown anyway 

the risk from cancer is NOT an instant thing it will take years to develop, wait until he has sopped growing at a year to 18 months of age,

also just because he only has one today does not mean he will not have both down in 6 months time.

messing with hormone production os not healthy infact as your human doctor about it, as tbh vets lie thier pants off about the so called health benefits of fixing

if a human is desexed  they are put on a strict diet of medications to prevent problems, vets just lop bits off and ignore the issues that stem from  that, infact it earns

them income from repeat visits as you have to treat the bad health at a later date.

13 hours ago, John7272 said:

The longer i wait the higher chance he will get cancer as it will get too warm where his testicle is and cause cancer

If you wait years then yes but my pup was the same and the vet said it can take up to 12 months for the ball to drop but if it hasnt by that age he will need neutering 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add, my red had an undescended testicle and the vet told me he needs to have them both off, she said it would cause cancer if i left it. I researched and decided against it as he was only 4 months of age at the time.......and it dropped at 6 months of age.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

I agree totally   - wait!    IF your puppy was to develop cancer it would be in 5-8 years time   - not next week.   Nutering before maturity will most likely cause problems like luxating patella, hip dysplasia.   The sex hormones play a massive part of their growth cycle.

Archived