Huskies aggressive to smaller dogs?

Olegas S

Hi I'm the owner of 2 Yorkshire terriers and they are small doggies, I really want a husky but today I've seen a video of a husky killing a poodle even though everything was chill there. I feel very bad I thought they were very kind breed, I don't know what to do since I really love the huskies and Im sure if I would be alone with a husky everything would work out Ive seen many videos of how to train, how they think and what to do. But Im scared for my little puppies yorkies, they are very kind to me maybe to some other dogs outside they show some aggression if a dog sniff their ass too much but otherwise they love people I don't know what to do..

** I have removed the link for the video ***

Bindi will put small dogs in their place when they bark and yap at here but killing no doubt that as we also have a welsh springer spaniel and she is fine with him...

Marley is fine with all small dogs  -  and our own cat  (not outsider cats though)   Mikey cannot be trusted with anything small and furry  - especially our own cat   - but I have seen him set himself when a small dog passes   -  he is always on a leash and under control  - but I have had to warn several dog owners with small breeds off lead to recall their dogs   -   and am amazed at how few have any control at all over their small dogs.

I believe it really does depend on the husky itself,  how it was brought up, the parents temperament,  if the puppy was brought up with small dogs in the family  etc.    However it is a bit of a lottery   - you could get a lovely puppy - only to have him change when he reaches adulthood and the prey-drive kicks in.      I think Marley's prey-drive is faulty   - he once caught one of my chickens and apart from a few missing feathers - the chicken was fine  - even though Marley was on it within seconds of it escaping  and I had to prize its neck out of my dog's jaws.

Mine arent keen on dogs of any size after being attacked by other dogs , unless they can be slowly introduced over time,  they ignore small animals on walks but I'd never have them in the same room as the prey drive is so strong 

It really does depend on the dog , a puppy being brought up with smaller dogs is more likely to be fine but still always be cautious 

My partner has a 7 year old Yorkie and my 2 are 4 years old and they all get on, the Yorkie can be snappy with mine but he’s soon put in his place. We took them all to the off lead field, before Covid, and I was throwing the ball for them, only Luka blue and Toby (Yorkie) wanted to play, so I threw the ball and Luka blue caught it, Toby turned around and bit Luka on his leg, Luka squealed and Cai ran from the other end of the field and put Toby on the floor and held him down with his paw on his back, he let Toby go after a couple of minutes and Toby skulked off, Toby always pushes his luck with my 2 but they do get on. It’s important to get initial introductions right whenever you’re adding a new member to the family. I always find the smaller dogs are a problem when I’m on a walk, always growling and barking but mine just ignore them.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

It's a dog-eat-dog world :)

It is basically a lottery. You can't really control their core temperament and prey drive (as much as many people would like to say they think they actually do).

My Husky only ever killed a mouse, some birds (WTF - why did god give them wings if they can be caught by a leashed dog), she enjoys catching and eating butterflies and I'm pretty sure she would snap those darn squirrels, but they are just too fast to catch on a short leash.

I wouldn't be surprised if that boundary was pushed further with some different huskies.

On the other hand, mine is always beat up by cats. Even the tiny, microscopic two-inch cat will make my Husky squeal. I wouldn't mind the natural selection to work this particular scenario - I mean - if a cat is stupid enough to snap at 50x larger animal, she has no business in staying alive. I'm pretty sure that's the case for many cats that suddenly don't come home but dared to go out of their way to attack a Wrong Husky :)

Archived