Potty Training Help! - 6 mo. female husky

Lindsay21

We have a 6 month old female husky. We’ve had her since she was 8 weeks old. We have another dog, a 4 year old Malamute. She definitely take his lead and follows suite, but is having difficulty with potty training. We are taking her out as soon as she wakes up, before & after she eats, after she plays, after a nap, after water, every couple hours-we take her to a small coral in the yard and use the same encouraging phrase. Outside of the corral she gets too distracted but sometimes now hesitates to go in the corral. If she does not go when outside, she will often come back in and immediately pee.

Typically, she pees in the house in the midst of playing and does not always have a ‘tell’ - she will be walking (nose not sniffing) as she typically does, stop and pee, then continue playing. Sometimes it’s a lot, sometimes very little. 

If we take her in the middle of playing to pee, she will not go but will immediately once back inside

She also will pause eating to pee then continue eating. She does well in the crate, but when crated to eat, she flips out, flips the bowl, and will not eat- My fear is she will hurt herself flipping out in the crate.

We are trying a stricter crating schedule (on day 2) for when we are out of the room not watching her but any suggestions, especially for the mid-play peeing would be appreciated!!

The stop eating to pee throws up red flags for me.

Have you taken her to the vet and been checked for a bladder infection or something?

I have a male and female. My girl was much harder to house break. She would pee on the tile in the middle of the night and had to be let out every 2 hours night and day. I never made a big deal out of it. Just cleaned it up. Now they are 2 and she is getting the hang of it.
I used white vinegar to clean it up. Pulled her water about an hour before bed. (She mostly played in it at night anyways)

She also marks while on walks. But once she has her running or pulling harness on she doesn’t stop to pee. She waits until she is unhooked.

I have a dog door now and I can trust them loss in the house now, so we have no more issues.

is she fixed?

My girl is fixed and she still marks. 

It could just be her personality. I don’t think mine cooked long enough sometimes. 🤣

But now that they are 2, they have really matured. There is hope and it’s probably something she will grow out of.

Archived