Is my Husky a P*ssy or is -47 'C Windchill really cold ?

Vlad76

-40 'C (= -40 'F) isn't anything new to us. Last 3 winters we've been blessed with Montana and North Dakota winters (after I moved).

And while we most often hover around <-25,-30>, we've had a bit of cold front few weeks ago. My phone app also shows a wind-chill, which unless experienced, can't really be explained over the internet.

Of course, it's all interpolation, but I am pretty sure the presented -47 'C was significantly worse than -40, which is relatively commonplace and thus can be experienced often (as a reference point).

When it hit -43 'C, my girl was bravely hauling me against the wind just fine. Voluntarily, and clearly enjoying the process, though some huffs and puffs were present.

Two days later, when it hit -47 'C, she failed. Miserably. She tried, I will give her that. About 4 times, she jumped against the wind, trying to catch the breath, but no huffing and puffing helped. She then turned around 180 degrees and hauled me in opposite direction of the wind. Now, to be fair, it was also a blizzard. At those temps and wind speed, the snowflakes felt like tiny razors chopping pieces of skin with an additional explosive tip at the other end of the snowflake pouring acid into the fresh wound, right after it doused in gasoline and put on fire.

We didn't stay long, about half an hour. It was one of the select few cases, when she didn't loudly complain when we were returning home.

But, unlike Huskies I didn't evolve up there around Chukchies so my reservations against such temps surely are understandable.

So, is my 4-yr old Husky merely being a p*ssy or is -47 'C actually too cold for them ?!?

To be honest   - I dont know   - all I can say is that if I were her  - when I turned around I would have taken a chunk out of your leg for making me go out in those conditions !  :huskyfall:

26 minutes ago, wolfpup said:

To be honest   - I dont know   - all I can say is that if I were her  - when I turned around I would have taken a chunk out of your leg for making me go out in those conditions !  :huskyfall:

If you're in UK, you probably don't have empirical data on how Huskies love such cold.  What's the relatively common coldest temps you get for about a week in winter - about -25 'C ? That's tropical winter.

Very first time, 2 years ago, in Montana, when she experienced -40 C for the first time, she was over-ecstatic, jumping from joy like a yo-yo.  I distinctly recall, when we went out, she just turned her head at me and gave me the look : "OMG, what is THIS. I LOVE IT !!!".

We spent an hour outside, as she simply would not go home. Some of that might be a reflex, to get warm, sure. But, her enjoyment was clearly tremendous.

But, I work from home, we spend 24 hours a day together, I know her emotions extremely well. She LOVES -40 C.  When I lived in New Jersey, she never was so ecstatic, as winters there are very tropical - we barely ever got -25 'C.

Hence the question : If -40 or even -43 is OK, why not -47 ? That's barely 10% difference. The only difference was the blizzard. Perhaps her nose, as it is bare exposed skin...

36 minutes ago, wolfpup said:

I would have taken a chunk out of your leg for making me go out in those conditions !  :huskyfall:

But this is North Dakota - I'm about 15 minutes from Canadian and a bit more than that from Minnesota Border. Yesterday I talked to a guy who got the bull's eye from an arctic blast few weeks ago. While we had only around -50, they got below -65 .

I take her out for walk 4-5x a day (or more, in case of occasional indigestion). If we didn't go because there's a blizzard, she would suffer 6 months. We had first blizzard on October 02, and today is March 16, and we just got 5 cm fresh snow yesterday.

Some of the blizzards rage for well over 16 hours. Surely you wouldn't have the dog suffer inside because of that ? About 6 weeks ago, there was a single blizzard that span over two days. We have gone out 6-7x during that particular one.

If anything, this is an ideal climate for a Siberian Husky. We've had uninterrupted snow cover for 5.5 months already, and I'm pretty sure we'll go through next two weeks and cross 6-months. She is enjoying herself in snow 5x a day, 40x a week, ~150x a month.

I was kidding   - whilst we do not get the extremes of weather  -  my two LOVE the cold  - the colder the better.      all year round - but especially in the winter one takes up position laying across the front door  -  the other lays across the back door  -  I have living draft excluders !

They have been conditioned for those temperatures for thousands of years  -   I know that.    However I was referring to the icy particles hitting her nose, eyes and lips  -  no wonder she turned around to face the other way  - smart girl.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 7:26 AM, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

If she wasnt happy in that weather she wasnt happy , no such thing as a dog being a p**sy 🙄

Why not ? They have the same temperaments are humans, so why exclude this particular feature ? If I had 3 huskies, then I could make a scientific comparison, but I got just one, so I can only post online and pop the question.

My point is that everybody everywhere all the time keeps talking about how huskies loooooove cold. Yet, people's idea of cold is really pathetic - for many it's even above freezing temperatures. I mean, just check the other thread by the Indian guy, whose coldest day of winter was, like,  PLUS 39 F...

How many Husky owners do you actually know that are exposed to temperatures below -40 C each winter? I have yet to see a husky youtube video where the happy husky hops around when it's -50 C.

I would love to do an experiment, where I would walk 12 huskies in that blizzard and I'm pretty sure one of them would be able to resist the blizzard the longest - not just ~10 seconds (or so) like mine did, as I really doubt mine is a tough one (she's a sweetheart).

BTW, April 16 here, and we had a fresh snow yesterday...

Just because they dont like something doesnt make them a p*ssy , my girl loves the cold and will be outside pretty much 24/7 regardless of weather,  my boy prefers being inside where its warm n isnt a fan of the cold , he'll still go for a walk in it but prefers being inside,  doesnt make him a wimp/p*ssy etc it's just how he is , same with people just because they dont like something or are scared of something doesnt make them a wimp 

You could have 20 Huskies in -40 -50 temperatures and only have 1 who is happy in that weather 

Archived