Mistaken identity

ok so me and my mum were talking 2day about blaze and i was tellin her how i had sum1 ask me if he was a defect as he has 1 blue 1 brown he was also called a mutt because ov this aswell he has also been called a wolf a wolf hound and a snow dog he has also been questioned if he is a purebred cuz he tail doesnt curl much yet? just wondering if any1 else has had their husky or malamute mistaken for something else or asked if its a cross or anythin like that because ov its eye colour? would love 2 hear what people mistake our beautiful huskies/malamutes for

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple answer, no.

Just because your husky has one brown and one blue eye doesn't make him a cross. He is a bi-eyed husky, which is possible with this breed. Here is some examples: http://www.huskycolors.com/eye.html

As for the tail, not every husky tail curls around! Gizmo's tail never curled around properly until he was about 10 months old and still he never holds it curled right around 24/7. Bandit hardly ever curls his tail, he tends to carry it downwards and so does Marley. Here is a link describing a dogs body language and how they would carry their tail for each 'emaotion': http://www.care2.com/greenliving/understand-your-dogs-body-language.html

Basically you and the breeder are the only people who will know if blaze is a pedigree or not. Do you have any papers which certify that blaze is pedigree? His eye colour and tail position will not tell you if he is pedigree or not.

SW I don't think the OP was asking if her dog was a cross or not, just if anyone had people confuse their sibes for another breed or cross :D

Just as an aside - with the tail thing, mallies are supposed to have tails that curl over to the side, however a Sibe's tail should curl up, not around or to the side.

Here's a mallie's tail. You can see how it curls and sits to the side. A sibe's tail should not curl like this.

17988_1480.jpg

A sibe. They should carry their tails up, like this, with a 'half' curl:

15336_1295.jpg

As for having Micha confused with another dog - I've been asked if he is a German Shepherd several times!!! LOL :)

edited to put a better pic in.

omg glad i'm not the only one who has been asked that question!! A kid once said - mummy look at that husky! she looked at kimba, then me and back her her son and said don't be silly - it's an alsation! OHHHH I covered kimbas ears and told him not to listen lol

omg glad i'm not the only one who has been asked that question!! A kid once said - mummy look at that husky! she looked at kimba, then me and back her her son and said don't be silly - it's an alsation! OHHHH I covered kimbas ears and told him not to listen lol

Yes, WTF about a husky looks REMOTELY like a GSD!! Was it the pointy ears? The fact they both have tails? My sibe being grey and white and GSDs being black and gold? SERIOUSLY!

The first time it happened I laughed it off, but I've had it 3-4 times now and I am at a total loss as to why, LOL!

i had an old woman ask me what breed he was 2day (u dnt c many huskies around cov infact blaze is the only 1 i no ov i no 2 huskamutes tho tho obv there is a malamute n ahusky sumwhere as these 2 are brothers) so i told her he is a husky n u no wot she sed!? wheres your sledge :o i cud ov hit her if she wasnt an old woman yeah cuz thats hilarious ent it!

as i have 6 of them i get the * wheres your sledge * comment on nearly every walk !

comments i have had would make your hair curl

Iv had.....they are gsds ( especially ice my white boy )

akitas...wolves...timberwolf !

The best one went like this

" scuse me luv ...what dogs are them "

" oh they're huskies "

" what real huskies or them that look like them "

" no they are the real macoy...siberian huskies "

" you got papers? "

" yes each one has papers "

" ermmm dont know how to tell you this but ya been robbed they only breed them in siberia so they not real siberian huskies "

To which my darling 14 year old son replied...." Yeah and they only breed german shephard dogs in GERMANY and the irish setter in IRELAND "

Well i fell about laughing and the man walked away with a very red face but it made my day lo

Another one i get is Do they bite !!! while thier hand is already on the dogs head ......stooopid people loll

when Tikanni was a bit younger i would pop into my mates pub ( as you do ) and one guy there just kept on about her .... saying "its the wolf" "its the wolf" or commenting that she looked like a little fox.....

allmost wanted to teach her how to do hand signals... you know the one where u shake your wrist with finger and thumb circled.... lol

The other thing I get all the time is people who tell me I'm cruel for having a husky in Australia. "don't you know they are bred for the snow!" "bit hot here hey" "a husky in Queensland, now I've seen everything!". I am happy to explain how their double coat works to insulate them as they are bred to climatise to extreme weather conditions, and thus they actually do very well in the heat - but nope, I must be wrong, or I get those looks like I'm making it up (LOL).

I really can't stand it when people tell me I should shave his coat off - grrrrr. I always explain that would make it worse as he wouldn't have any control over his body temperature without his coat. It's why I get so upset when I see people who have shaved their huskies because they are too lazy to groom them :(

To which my darling 14 year old son replied...." Yeah and they only breed german shephard dogs in GERMANY and the irish setter in IRELAND "

Well i fell about laughing and the man walked away with a very red face but it made my day lol

lol i love that soooooo funny lol fair play to ur son

i got another 'its a snowdog' 2day lol

lots ov mixes boxers staffies little yappy things ive sed a hundred times n ill probs end up sayin 100 more two people who have huskamute brothers but theyre the only things closet 2 a pure husky round here ALOT ov labs aswell i love havin a dog u dnt see much lol i just like bein different lol

• 2 weeks later...

I have been frowned at for walking a "fox" before today, and like many on here, I get told or asked if I have a wolf, but the best I've heard was a young lad say to his Dad "Look at the husky" to which Dad replied "It's not a real husky, real ones have different coloured eyes, that's got 2 blue eyes, so it's not really a husky!" Poor kid knows more than his Dad!

lol sum1 asked me yesterday if he was a real siberian husky (i sed yes) then she proceeded in tellin me her sister used 2 have a husky i was all like oh wow cool she sed yeah a samoyed husky i was just thinkin wtf!? that very same day i had sum1 ask me if blaze was an japanese akita no offence but im pretty sure if u knew what an akita was u wud no he isnt 1? am i right?