need help saving an abused husky

mohamed magdy

so i was getting a retriever puppy as i wanted to get a dog for sometime now, but i guess destiny intervened as i saw this one and a half year old husky in a poor slum pet shop and they treated him really badly (he is not having enough food at all, no activity as he is always tied to one place), and i am almost certain that he was stolen from his owner (didnt have any luck to find his owner through pics tho), anyway i really want to save it from that place although its probably going to cost me a considerable amount of money which isnt my strongest point at the moment also it is my first dog and i keep hearing huskies arent really newbie friendly, anyway questions are: -am not sure wether he is an husky or an Alaskan malamute (he is 1.5 years old)  -is he going to get used to me as an older dog he is -i live in egypt and it is kinda hot here in summer but surely anywhere is better than the condition he is living in right now -i dont know if i can afford his buying dry food for him at the moment not till next month i guess so is it ok for him to eat home food like chicken and what portions should i start with knowing they dont feed him at all -is it ok to change his name as his former name would be co-related with abuse and is it going to be easy changing it -lastly i keep hearing huskies are not loyal (i dont mean aggression) but in a passionate and affectionate way loving to their owner.

greetings from egypt and sorry for the long read

i have included a link to the dog's pictures sorry if this is not the format of the pictures but it was the best i could do

https://files.fm/u/fa7524ut

• 1 month later...

Firstly, thank you for even considering a rescue over a puppy. That said there’s a lot in your post that suggests to me you’d need to increase your knowledge of huskies before you make a decision. Dried food is not a good food for any dog, home cooked chicken or other meat with veg. Is a better option but raw would be better. You will need the time to commit to him too, a fair bit of exercise at times when it’s not too hot so early morning late evening, time to be with him to allow the pair of you to bond and in an ideal world you wouldn’t be leaving him for hours on his own while you go to work.

On the plus side whilst his lot is not a happy one, he physically doesn’t look too bad but the longer he stays there, tied to one place the worse his mental state is going to become. Is there not a rescue who would take him where you could get to know him before you make a final decision about whether or not to take him permanently? I hope you can work it out because I think your heart is in the right place, good luck with him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say he looks pure husky but its the ears that are getting me. Malamute ears are far apart like his are but husky ears are much closer together. I would have to know how much he weighs at healthy to really know. My first dogs were huskies and the reason they say they arent newbie friendly is due to their stubbornness and 2 year old like behavior. They are smart dogs they just dont like to listen. They also have a habit of jumping over walls, digging, and getting so bored that they are destructive. If he recieves proper training, stimulation, and exercise this shouldnt be an issue. Also yes he will get used to you. AT a year they can still be considered puppies and he should be fine with you. My huskies were 2 and 1 when we first got them and they are perfectly fine with us and got used to use in no time. I live in Southern California where during summer it can get over 100 degrees. The trick is to always make sure they have water, keep some good quality paw balm near by (I would suggest mushers secret) as this will protect his paws from the heat, I would always bring water with you on walks, brush him out daily to get rid of the undercoat, and even take him swimming. Swimming is such a good form of exercise especially in the heat. Its actually better if he doesnt eat dry food since dry food is pressure cooked to such high degrees that all of the good nutrients is gone and all thats lefts is the minimum requirements of nutrients. Cooked or raw food is much better. As for portions calculating this would be hard but it does depend on a healthy weight and daily exercise. He should be eating between 2-3% of their wait per day. So lets say he is 60lbs then he should be eating 1.2-1.8 cups of food per day. As mentioned before he does look physically okay. His weight just by the pictures look fine. The best way you can tell if he is at a healthy weight is 1. you should see a visible waist line. If you look down at his back you should see a visible wasit. Also feel around for his ribs. You shouldnt be able to see them but with some pressure feel them.  It is ok to change his name, as he is still young he should be able to pick it up quickly. Huskies are extremely loyal dogs just not the most obedient. If he is trained properly and is able to trust you he will remain loyal. Also note worthy they are not guard dogs so dont expect loyalty as protecting you in that sense. They love their familes as they are extremely pack oriented and they get along with people and dogs in general just fine. One of my huskies was abused as well and it took some time to gain his trust but he is a loyal and outgoing dog. He loves us very much and while he is not always obedient is still a good dog. 

Archived