Husky Routine and Indoor Living

californiahusky

Hello, what routines do your huskies have that meet their needs so they can respond to house-training and have times where they can be indoors to relax. I am personally seeing issues with my feeding routine, exercise, and time where my pet can have social time with us. House-training has been a drag because we started him off with a pee-pad indoors. It now is very slow to help him understand he has to go outside to go bathroom. I also have him outdoors for now, and bring him in only to house-train him. I have two children under the age of 2 and while they have needs my dog can easily pee on the floor and it would be a missed opportunity to train him. I did notice he is a very social creature and does not only want to be indoors but in the same room as me. He also doesn't even like the cold and just wants to run around inside and lay on our couch. Any advice? My children give me from 1-3 hour span where I can either train the dog or do house chores. Anyones personal stories or advice will be very helpful. Photo from day 1 he came home from adoption poor little thing was sad from being neutered. He is a great dog and deserves proper training as he is very smart.

82060678_2652674484823327_5692129120985546752_n.jpg

Huskies love to be with us, I’d start back to basics with feeding and training. With regards to peeing outside I took my 2 outside every 20 -30 mins and reward with lots of praise and a little treat when he pee’s, pee pads didn’t work for mine. I feed mine at the same time everyday morning and evenings, a routine is essential as they know what to expect and when, I also set time aside for training and fun time playing. I used safety gates to limit the rooms they could go in when they were pups, and when they were allowed in any of the rooms and they misbehaved I used time outs and allowed them in again, I’d do this repeatedly until they realised how to behave appropriately. It took the best part of 2 years to train them and they’re both nearly 4, if you put the time and effort into training you will reap the rewards. Mine have the freedom of the house when we’re at home and when we’re out I still use the safety gate to restrict access upstairs. They both sleep in my bedroom with no issues, it hasn’t been easy, huskies can be temperamental and they have a mind of their own but you won’t find a better companion.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Archived