Treats?

JAXSMOMMY

I was wondering if anyone could give us any information about dog treats for Loki. We were told not to give him any dog treats until he is 4 months old due to puppies digestive systems. I have always given my puppies treats, but have never had a husky. Would any of you give a 6 week old puppy dog treats? Loki is doing very well so far when it comes to house breaking. He hasn't used the bathroom  in his kenneling area and has been scratching at the door when he needs to go outside. I feel like we should be rewarding him with treats instead of just telling him that he's a good boy. However, we don't want to start giving him treats too soon. 

The youngest I have ever had a puppy is 12 weeks  - but I would not give a 6 week old any treats  - no matter what they were.    If you feel you must give him something then I would give a very small amount of whatever you are feeding him.     6 weeks is really too young to have left his mother   -  should be at least 8 weeks old before leaving.  He will be missing out on important life lessons from his mum and siblings   (like bite inhibition etc)   At 6 weeks they should stilll be weaning.    Personally I would wait until 12 weeks   -  and then be very careful about what I give.

Most commercial treats are filled with  starch, sugars - and depending on what is given  GMO's  etc   -  no dog's system needs that  -  especially a very young digestive system.   At 16 weeks I used to give my boy a meaty bone as a treat  -  his little teeth would tear at the meat and it kept him happily occupied for hours.    He also lost all his puppy teeth on meaty bones   -  saved our wooden furniture!

P1010443.thumb.JPG.ce7fd2899028af5896f97c3b60072434.JPG

As above, he’s too young for treats yet, I started giving my 2 the tiniest treat when training at 12 weeks old and treats should be counted in the daily food allowance otherwise you’ll have a chubby puppy. You can reward in other ways such as playing with him after praise with a ball or a toy.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Archived