Over vaccination

wolfpup

This forum is THE most moderate,  'nice' (hate that word but it fits on this occasion) and 'level headed' forums I have ever belonged to,  people here tend to self-moderate and think about their answers before typing   (i.e. no keyboard warriors here)  -    which is why I am risking asking for a discussion and your opinions on vaccinations.

I doubt that anyone here is in any doubt where I stand on this  -  for me it is puppy shots only and a first year booster if required.   No dog (or cat) I have ever had has had any other boosters  in the last 30 years or so.  I have never had a dog die or become ill because of a doggie disease that a vaccine could have prevented.  I believe that 1 year or 3 year boosters are unncessary   -  that being said  -  it is MY opinion,  and just and only that.

The reason I have been prompted to write this is because of an article I received from Dogs Naturally Magazine in my email inbox today:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-vets-are-getting-away-with-murder/

When reading this please bear in mind it is an American magazine  -  so some of the information does not apply to the UK  -  however the basic facts and figures are true wherever you live.  I would also urge you to read the links in this article   -  particularly this one:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/what-every-vet-should-know-about-vaccines/

For those of us in the UK   -   my present vet wanted  £385 (from memory) to titre test my dogs 6 months ago   -  whereas Lanes Vets  -  which covers a large part of the country  charge  £79  for the same test.    For me,  I would rather titre test every 3 years than spend roughly the same amount  (in truth I dont know how much boosters cost)  for what I believe to be  unnecessary vaccinations.    When was the last time you had to have a childhood vaccination 'boosted'?

I truly am after a discussion and your opinions  - I am a firm believer that we all do what we think it best for our furkids  - e.g.  - we all have wildly different ideas on feeding  - but most  manage to stay this side of fanatical  (I discount myself from this group obviously)   :doglaugh:

I am in the same boat as you,  my 2 have had their puppy vaccs and their first year boosters and thats it , bings also never had any vaccs when we had him and all have not had an illness that vaccs could have prevented , bings lived till 17 and blaze and skyla are 10 and 11 years young , healthy dogs 

I long ago decided that repeat vaccination had no purpose except to enhance the coffers of the vets. Down the years I have read quite a bit on vaccination and revaccination, none of it good. Dr. Karen Becker is an holistic vet in the US. She has written that yearly vaccination is worthless and unnecessary and no longer endorses it in her practice. I have also read articles that pointed to vaccination being the cause of such inflammatory disorders as arthritis in later life, especially if repeated annually and also causative of hip dysplasia in pups, saying that you don’t see pups up to the age of 8 weeks with dysplasia only after their first vaccination.

It certainly gave me food for thought and my thought was that I couldn’t see the point. I don’t have the flu jab either. So I will continue not to give my pets boosters, as most of them are likely to be rescue or rehomes I won’t be making the decision for any pups or kittens and I can’t turn the clock back for any that I take in. When you consider just how many dogs and cats have arthritis it makes you wonder why doesn’t it! I think poor food choices are as relevant to pets as people but it wouldn't surprise me to find that repeatedly injecting a pet with a foreign substance is likely to cause harm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Luna-tic said:

I long ago decided that repeat vaccination had no purpose except to enhance the coffers of the vets. Down the years I have read quite a bit on vaccination and revaccination, none of it good. Dr. Karen Becker is an holistic vet in the US. She has written that yearly vaccination is worthless and unnecessary and no longer endorses it in her practice. I have also read articles that pointed to vaccination being the cause of such inflammatory disorders as arthritis in later life, especially if repeated annually and also causative of hip dysplasia in pups, saying that you don’t see pups up to the age of 8 weeks with dysplasia only after their first vaccination.

It certainly gave me food for thought and my thought was that I couldn’t see the point. I don’t have the flu jab either. So I will continue not to give my pets boosters, as most of them are likely to be rescue or rehomes I won’t be making the decision for any pups or kittens and I can’t turn the clock back for any that I take in. When you consider just how many dogs and cats have arthritis it makes you wonder why doesn’t it! I think poor food choices are as relevant to pets as people but it wouldn't surprise me to find that repeatedly injecting a pet with a foreign substance is likely to cause harm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've never head of vaccinations causing arthritis,  this definitely isnt the case with Skyla hers I'm pretty sure is genetic , she was a big dog even as a pup and her parents didn't have health tests (shes a rehome pup) 

I’m of the same opinion, that puppy shots and first booster are necessary after that I feel, in my opinion, that any other booster shots are unnecessary. There are so many articles around telling us we need this and that for our pets, but i think it’s about financial gain for company’s that sell them and the vets.
Pet company’s are well aware of what we’re willing to spend on our beloved fur babies but the majority of it is unnecessary, lots of research is needed before we buy into what they tell us is best.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived