Pitsky

Pitsky puppy

I just rescued what was said to be a pitsky (pit bull daddy husky mommy) puppy from going to pound or worse. Shes 10weeks old and doing well with my dog, very curious and chases cat. Ive been told by 2 separate husky breeders when she hits at least 6months she will get ahold of and Kill my cat as they have extremely high prey drive. I was planning on fostering her until she was fully vetted but of course am shifting towards a foster fail, but hearing this about my cat im very leary. Any comments?????

9F05ED33-0596-4111-9052-4C9ACB1B3F18.jpeg.0c04107e24fdabb64a6b1feda805999d.jpeg   To.  201C75D1-26E8-474E-9F0D-D52AFF8223F0.png.adfb7991b1d94e201f56278d8a7d91fb.png

huskies indeed have a high prey drive...killing the cat might not happen if the 2 can never meet...there are husky owners with cats where the cat lives and stays upstairs and the dog can not get upstairs....that might be something for you to look into... but good on you to rescue...

I got Marley at around 12 weeks old  (4th owner even then)!  he was brought up with my cat  and while he has always enjoyed the chase - he does nothing   -  my cat is not a 'runner' normally, as he has lived with 4 dogs in his time with us  (also a rescue).  They even groom eather other and if ever the cat is unwell he will sit next to the cat to keep him company.   We had no gates or any form of separation  until we got our other rescued husky  - a 31/2 year old  -  who has made it his mission in life to kill my cat at the first opportunity.

So now we have 4ft gates in the hall, child gates on the top of the stairs and another one at my hubby's office door  (where the cat's food is).    The cat can also get under my duvan bed  -  his sister scratched her way through the material as she liked the dark and peace.   However I cannot tear that material and it will keep the dog at bay far longer than it would take one of us to get upstairs if every he got through the gates   (not really tried in 6 months)

At night Mikey is kept downstairs and Marley comes upstairs with me and the cat   -   Marley is 4yrs and 3 months now  -  never had a problem.    Marley just loves everybody and everything  (except he will not tolerate a strange cat in our garden)

It was I thought my worst nightmare having agreed to take a 6 year old Husky, knowing little about the breed, to read about their high prey drive, I have 2 cats, and how they’d kill a cat given the chance.

Over 2 years later I still have 2 cats, a now 12 year old Maine Coon and a 7 year old Bengal. The Maine Coon was on her 3rd dog and whilst initially very wary, just didn’t run but was careful, the Bengal also on his 3rd dog took flight as soon as the dog was near. Initially Luna was very keen but I’m presuming she has had past training and when admonished, stopped. She tackled him once, we shouted, she let go without having done any damage and now all 3 co exist, both cats will step on and over the dog as they come and go through the dog flap, the Maine Coon sleeps on the dogs beds all the time. It may not work for everyone but as you have a pup and monitor his behaviour, I don’t see why he couldn’t be friends with the cat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could work well for you but I’d say be over cautious to begin with, there are many husky owners who have cats and they co-exist well. There are also those who’ve had cats with huskies and lived well together for years and then out of the blue the husky has killed the cat. My two could not ever be trusted with cats, we are surrounded by soooo many in my neighbourhood and for the first 15 mins of their walk, literally as soon as I go out of my back gate, they are on the hunt for a cat [emoji33][emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived