choosing what to feed my pup!

baby1019

Hi everyone! I’ve done so much research and still am unclear what to do. My puppy is currently eating Purina Puppy Chow, which is what the breeder had her on. She loves it, but I wonder if it’s whats best for her. I want to get her a new food before her old one runs out so i can wean her into it. I’ve heard grain free diets are best, but my vet has told me it’s not good. I’ve seen a lot of studies on Blue Buffalo, i think that’s the name, and Taste of the wild, a lot of those foods causing diseases. Which i’m sure all food has in some way. But I just wanted some other opinions and potential options. She’s a pure bred siberian husky, she’s 4 months, she’s currently about 20 ish pounds, trying to get some weight on her. She’s eating about 2 cups a day. Any feedback, advice, and/ or suggestions is welcome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Hi baby 1019

I'm a big believer in giving a puppy a good start in life and I think that a good dog food is essential all my 3 pups are on royal cairns medium puppy food there gust coming up to 6 months old and there still fed 3 times a day weaning them down to 2 meals a day they love the food and look very healthy on it and are on 300g a day plus treats when training.

20191130_120539.jpg

No surprise from me I am afraid  -  firmly in the camp of feeding your pup REAL food - not denatured starch with chemical, artificial vitamins & poor quality minerals   - which is what you are giving your dog with any kibble.

Some people here do feed a good quality commercial food  -  dehydrated raw food  - its not cheap but its the next best thing to feeding a raw whole food diet  - the same sort of thing their ancestors have eaten for thousands and thousands of years.    It also has the convenience of a 'kibble' type diet - you just dish out and add water I believe.     If I had the money and a busy lifestyle I might be tempted to try one of those occasionally.

I am sure they will be able to give you the names of quality dehydrated foods,

I spend 15 minutes a day choosing and preparing my dogs meals from scratch  -  raw meats and raw fish,  you just have to get your head around planning their meals the way you do your own  -  very quickly it becomes second nature and you dont really think about it.   Its also about half the price of the dehydrated raw  -  costs about the same as some of the more expensive kibble foods (refuse to say better quality kibble - no such thing).

Sorry - you caught me before my morning coffee   -  it's only one old biddy's opinion - but you did ask.

If you are ever interested in trying a whole food diet for your pup I will happily spend as long as you need walking you through it, and can send you dozens of articles to help.    I have never fed kibble but did used to feed tinned food   (about 13-14 years ago - and its not much better) until I started to educate myself after rescuing a pup with severe dietary issues  - took me nearly 3 years to finally have the courage to take total responsibility for his diet and change him fully over to a totally raw diet  - all his issues went away.  To get you started   I have found a raw food supplier with execellent  ethics, food standards etc, even do a soil association guaranteed organic range as well.  Plus it is free delivery.   If you think you might like to give it a try just message me  (envelope in top right hand corner of the page next to your name).

You are obviously a very caring & thoughtful owner  -  or you would not have asked the question in the first place.

I think it's great that you really care about your puppy and have done some research to find out what is the best thing for her. There are so many kinds of dog foods and supplements out there and you're right, a lot of them can be horrible for a dog's health. In fact, there are even lawsuits against some dog food companies because dogs have become sick and even died after eating these chemical laden foods. Not only is it important to consider the ingredients and health benefits of the food, but of course you also have to consider what the puppy likes as far as smell and taste. Have you decided on which foods to try besides the Purina Puppy Chow? Maybe you can stick with that for a little bit longer before you find other options. Or you could try a variety of foods and give her the Puppy Chow occasionally without necessarily removing it entirely. After all I don't think it is bad and if she is happy with it...but if you really want to eliminate it from her diet, we should find a good replacement. 

I was thinking about this thread today and decided to do some research myself. I stumbled upon a product named Buddy Custard, has anyone heard of it or tried it before? It's not a brand of dog food, rather it's something you can add to your dog's current diet. If your husky is really into that puppy chow you wouldn't even have to bother replacing it and you'd get the nutrition benefits from BC. The ingredients they use are all natural and help ensure that your husky thrives. So it would be a win win situation for both you and your puppy. Plus I looked at their website and they even have research papers backing up what they do, I know you mentioned studies in your original post so I thought you'd like to know that. You should definitely take a look at their website and include them in your list of possibilities. 

Hi, my husky is 10 months old and I have been feeding him large breed puppy Eukanuba. I chose it for the Omega fats it had (for a nice coat) and other ingredients. I found out later that it's the  official brand of the Iditerod. It's pricey so I will most likely phase to Blue Diamond as he reaches the year mark. I have been very happy with it so far.

my dogs used to be fed on a dry food, they did lots of soft poops that filled two or three bags  had stinky gassy butts bad breath and dirty stained teeth

I then switched to raw food diet they have great coats  do tiny  poops that are like stones  and do not smell much, i would guess that they digest 80% of what goes into them

on the dry food i would guess most of what went in came back out.

the farts do not really smell any more, no stinky breath  teeth are clean

I got a puppy last year and he has been fed raw from birth and is doing great

I feed my 6 month old husky Earthborn. Granted it’s not a raw diet, she does get raw bones to chew on in between meals. The Earthborn Puppy Vantage has been good to my girl through. She has a shiny healthy coat and I’m always getting compliments on how great she looks overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived