One 5n1 shot enough?

Nora Blaise

When we adopted Nora the breeder said that since she was 16 weeks she only needed one set of puppy shots. The reason they give three sets usually is because when a breastfeeding puppy gets the shot the mother’s immunity will render the vaccine useless.

Nora was immunized at 16 weeks with the 5and1 shot and rabies two weeks later. 
  Previously, I had been told that Nora was fine and was planning to immunize her again at the one year booster. Now the vet is acting strange about her records and I am wondering if she will have to be vaccinated again. I don’t want to give her more shots if she doesn’t need them since my last dog(pit/husky) died of cancer at the immunization site. I do believe in the purpose of vaccines. I just don’t want to needlessly immunize her if her shots did work.  And if we go though another set of shots, will the booster be a year after she receives the new set or a year from her first set? Thank you for any help or advice.

I stand with no more vaccines - have to be honest about that up front.     Your best bet is to have your dog titre tested.    This will show unequivically whether she is covered or not.    The latest science as I understand it is that a puppy done at 16 weeks is covered for life.    A reaction of any kind shows that the body is ready to fight any disease innoculated for.    Also repeated vaccines can cause lots of problems - as you sadly found out with your other dog, but can also cause epilepsy and other less life threatening diseases.     One of my boys developed epilepsy at 10 months of age.

I would find a holistic vet and ask them to do the titre test  -  they are more likely to be able to honestly interpret the results as they wont be wanting to profit from more vaccinations anyway.

I am thankful I dont live in a country with draconian laws on vaccination  - and do live in a country that is not troubled with rabies.    I have had dogs of my own for over 30 years and have never given any of them a booster.     We have innoculations and never require a yearly booster  - why should our dogs?

A titre test will not only allay your fears but also give you great ammunition if your vet wants to vaccinate unnecessarily.

Archived