Marley vomiting blood - again !

wolfpup

Marley has not eaten anything since 6pm last night - except a small amount of grass   -    and this evening he has just vomitted pink/red slime with blood in it.  

He has been fine in himself up to today  - no symptoms like last time.    Also I have been meticulous with his food  and  know exactly everything he has eaten,  even down to what the meat he has eaten  -  has eaten.    The one company I use for about  1/8th of his food  guaranteed in writing that their lamb was not fed anything he is allergic to.

He will be at the first available vet appointment tomorrow.    Trouble is that the insurance won't pay out for the same thing   -  and last time it cost over £3000 in total.

Hubby said that this morning Marley did eat nearly a whole tin of sardines  -  and that both dogs were awful on their morning walk (pulling, jumping up etc)  and that Marley appeared to be back to normal    -  except for what he did at the other end   -   he needs a bath   -   thats the problem with a dog that has 6"+ long fur on his bum and back legs and 8"+ long fur on his tail.

Now I am torn  -   the only way I will know if it is ulcers starting up again is a £500 laparotomy which the insurance wont pay for  -  on the other hand I could treat him for ulcers   (food wise) and see if it stops   (still take him to the vets)  -   the chances of  him developing salmonella poisoning should be minimal now as he eats no poultry whatsoever and rarely has an egg.

It might be possible that he just had a rogue piece of bone that irritated the lining of his stomach   .........   I just dont think so.

Tried to get an appointment but Marley's vet is not in today  - he is fully booked tomorrow but the receptionist says she will get him to ring me tomorrow.      I am giving him a couple of sardines every 2-3 hours  to keep something in his stomach for the acid to work on rather than the stomach lining.   Also got him to have a teaspoon of 20+ Manuka honey in lukewarm water and put another teaspoon full into the dogs water bowl.    Manuka honey kills H Pylori  - the bug that causes ulcers.   Have also started off some cabbage juice - which will be ready in a couple of days  -  main ulcer healing parts are L-glutamine, S-methyl methionine.    Last time the vet put him on a white fish only diet for 2 weeks   - but after that the little tyke wont eat white fish!   Also tried to get some fresh aloe vera down him  -  but he balked at that    - possibly a step too far whilst he is so sensitive  - will try and hide some in his next couple of sardines.    Also upping his slippery elm to soothe the  lining of the stomach.

Don't know what else I can do at the moment

4 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Hubby said that this morning Marley did eat nearly a whole tin of sardines  -  and that both dogs were awful on their morning walk (pulling, jumping up etc)  and that Marley appeared to be back to normal    -  except for what he did at the other end   -   he needs a bath   -   thats the problem with a dog that has 6"+ long fur on his bum and back legs and 8"+ long fur on his tail.

Now I am torn  -   the only way I will know if it is ulcers starting up again is a £500 laparotomy(?) which the insurance wont pay for  -  on the other hand I could treat him for ulcers   (food wise) and see if it stops   (still take him to the vets)  -   the chances of  him developing salmonella poisoning should be minimal now as he eats no poultry whatsoever and rarely has an egg.

It might be possible that he just had a rogue piece of bone that irritated the lining of his stomach   .........   I just dont think so.

11 hours ago, Shepsky5 said:

Reading what you do is educational! I don't have the slightest bit of advice.
Hopefully after discussing with your vet, a plan of action will become clear.

( If he was eating  "clean", why would he have developed Ulcers again? That's puzzling to me.)

Two possibilities:     1.  The commercial raw is contaminated with something he is allergic to.    2.    In the last few months since his last allergy test he has become sensitive to something else.     I am meticulous to the point of paranoia in checking how the animal he eats was raised.    He used to be allergic to 9 foods, but his last test showed he was allergic to 3 foods and borderline to one.   However I have not increased his diet to include the stuff he is no longer allergic to, just in case.

A sensitive dog can develop an allergy to anything if it is fed too often  -   and Marley has been on a restrictive diet of grass fed beef  (finished on Barley), grass fed lamb, venison when I can get it,  same with kangaroo,  herrings, sardines, recently got in mackerel as a change,   However I rotate every day - every 2 days max.    Additions include bone broth (beef)  salmon, asparagus, broccolli, brussel sprouts & blueberries.   I am ordering some more colostrum (cow colostrum)  the cow is a 'universal donor' for colostrum - all other species can have it.

I really dont want him on any more antibiotics if I can possibly avoid it.  However his rear end appears to have resolved itself - normal stool this morning thankfully  -  but that is because of his high fish diet over the last 24 hours I am sure.   If it is ulcers all I can do is treat for it then replace his existing gut bacteria with healthy dog gut bacteria again.  If it is an allergy then it means his gut is leaking again  -  it is the only way a food substance can get into the blood stream to cause an allergy in the first place

Getting Marley to have the fermented cabbage juice is rather a chore    -  but he will happiy eat raw cabbage  (strange tyke).   No further vomitting or runs  and he seems happy in himself  and eating well  (loving the cold)  so I am happy with continuing to treat him myself  ..................... however Marley & Mikey are curious as to why I rush over to Marley's poos to check them before clearing them away  🤣.

Getting him to have the manuka honey is no problem whatsoever though  -  Mikey also wants some  -  but I use 10+ for Mikey  -  he does not need the strength  - and I dont need the extra cost.

Here's hoping for a drama free Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

So far so good.     No more vomiting, no more runs.    I was reduced to syringing the cabbage juice into Marley  - but he was very good about it and took it with  good grace ...............  but wanted a lamb's rib treat to follow  -  his equivalent of a sweetie!

He appears to be back to normal  but am obviously keeping a close eye on him.    Usually the first sign is that he goes off his food  so whilst he is eating all his meals I think I can relax again.

Just as well   -  the vet did not ring me back  -  and I rang them twice.    Time to look out for another vet I think  ............... unfortunately my current vet is widely regarded as the best one in my county.

Archived