Friends dog's behavior is nothing like my huskies? Help!

dinfe22

Hey, what's up guys!

So I'm a little disappointed in myself as I feel I have not trained my husky well and have set him up for failure, even though I did everything I researched and studied, he just turned, 14 months.

Here's the thing;
I went over to my friends house who has a golden-doodle who is roughly the same age as my husky, and I was blown away by the difference in behavior between mine and his. 

Soon as I entered the dog seemed happy to see me but nothing jumpy or too crazy, then went to lay around in the living room. While at his place, the dog minded his own business and rarely came to bother me. Then, when we were eating, there was pizza, drinks, and paper napkins on the coffee table, and this dog did not one bit try to eat the food, or take the paper napkins and left it alone.

If it were my home, my husky would be going crazy to meet them, constantly going near them, and the thought of food or paper napkins on the coffee table would mean he would try to take and shred them.

What has he done that I didn't do? I would say I know more about training than he does. I gave my husky structure from day 1, meaning crate time, training etc. But the golden doodle still acts way more behaved.

Have I failed my dog?

......Also, how would your husky act in a situation like this?

Sorry you cannot compadre a Husky to any other dog they are a breed apart imo. I have had gsd and made the mistake comparing that with mine and boy they I learn the hard way...

you have a happy pup??  Yes...you have not failed...

9 minutes ago, robke said:

Sorry you cannot compadre a Husky to any other dog they are a breed apart imo. I have had gsd and made the mistake comparing that with mine and boy they I learn the hard way...

you have a happy pup??  Yes...you have not failed...

Thanks!

Would you mind explaining the differences between your GSD and your husky? Like in terms in behavior outside and inside etc.?

Haha since this is my first husky, I would love to see how other huskies behave!

Some people have well behaved huskies  -   I have a lunatic and one that is a little 'reserved'.    The lunatic loves everone and everything  - including cats,  is a nightmare on lead, pulling, jumping up, chasing leaf litter, etc - 4 years old and behaves like a 9 month old, yet he is the most gentle and loving dog I have ever had -   the other one is fine on lead, but not to be trusted with small furries, even small fluffy dogs.   He is the only dog my cat is terrified of,  and my cat has lived with 5 dogs.

I can leave food on the coffee table with the lunatic  -  but nothing is safe with the more reserved one  -  he is lighting fast - a born thief, great climber, always looking for a weak spot he can take advantage of.   You can actually see his thought process, working out what he can do to get what he is after.

Living with our huskies is 'interesting'  - but never boring  -  they can make us cross, exasperated, frustrated  - make us feel inadequate, they challenge us in every way you can imagine, - they also make us laugh each and every day, and each and every day I thank heaven I was lucky enough to rescue them both.

Forget everything you know about other dogs  -  you are now owned by a husky.    

Sounds about normal

Dogs are not robots, like children they all learn and develope at different rates

Did you actulay do an research on dog breeds before you got your dog, as different breeds have different breed traits of behaviour

Did you find out that Huskys have a high prey drive and after a while you will have to keep them on a lead so they do not kill cats wildlife and even small toy breed  dogs.

That as a husky owner you will nt have a dog that walks at heel  turns and has perfect behaviour, but will drag you up the road pulling your arm out the socket

You need to start reading a lot of books and webpages  fast, as you have a lot to learn about the dog you just got, how to live with it how to train it (in as much as you can train a husky)

Archived