MelRiv22

Hi Everyone!

I'm new here. I have a 6 month old hyper Siberian Husky and his name is Kal-El. He has a very sensitive stomach. Since we got him he has had Giardia. Something he picked up prior to getting him. It's been a battle to get him healthy again but so far so good. He absolutely refused to eat kibble one day and has not tried again since. We have him now on a raw diet. We are two weeks in and so far it's been bumpy but I've seen a difference in him. I'm looking for advice from those who have gone through this stage already and may have tips on how to get him fully on his way to digesting and getting his full dietary count daily. Thank you all in advance!

IMG_5081.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  Below is a list of the vitamin and mineral content of some raw meats to start you off.

CHICKEN PORK BEEF LAMB EGG SARDINES HERRINGS SALMON  
A A     A A A A  
B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1  
B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2  
B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3  
B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5  
B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6  
B9 B9 B9 B9 B9 B9 B9    
B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12  
          C C C LIVER  KIDNEY
        D D D D  
        E E E    
        K K K    
CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM  
COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER  
        IODINE IODINE IODINE IODINE  
IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON  
MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM  
MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE  
PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS  
POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM  
SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM  
ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC

Fresh (frozen) sardines and herrings both contain every vitamin & mineral there is  -   if you also add about 1/16 teaspoon of spirulina or chlorella powder to the daily meal they will also be getting  99% of the trace minerals as well as more vitamins & minerals.    

This link will give you a list of all the meats containing  each vitamin and mineral  :    

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/raw-diets-for-dogs-getting-enough-vitamins-and-minerals/

This is the second part of the above:

Part II Vegetable Sources of Vitamins And Minerals
There can be many health benefits to giving your dog vegetables and fruits. Plants contain not just vitamins, but phytonutrients as well. While a dog wouldn’t survive without vitamins and minerals, phytonutrients play a role in helping to prevent or treat disease. So let’s go over phytonutrients first.
Phytonutrients
Phyto is Greek for plant, and phytonutrients are only in plants, not other foods. Phytonutrients help protect plants from damage, and when our dog eats these plants, he’ll also get protective benefits. Phytonutrients help protect against inflammation and can help prevent a wide range of diseases like cancer, pulmonary and cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

There are tens of thousands of phytonutrients in plants, all playing various roles, but here are some of the most important ones … and their vegetable or fruit sources.
Carotenoids
There are more than 600 carotenoids that all act as antioxidants in the body. This means they fight against free radical damage in the cells and the body.
Carotenoids are found in yellow, orange and red colored fruits and vegetables like squash, carrots, papaya, canteloupe.
Lycopene
This is another powerful antioxidant that can play a role in preventing and slowing cancer. Lycopene gives many vegetables their red color and it’s found in tomatoes, carrots, red cabbage, water melon.
Lutein
This is another carotenoid and antioxidant that’s known to protect the eyes skin and heart. It’s found in dark leafy greens and in yellow plants, including kale, broccoli, oranges and papaya.
Flavonoids
Flavonoids or bioflavonoids can regulate cell signaling in the body and they have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. In general, the more colorful the plant food, the higher it is in bioflavonoids. Quercetin and resveratrol are two popular flavonoids found in many fruits and vegetables.
Good sources of flavonoids are tree fruits like plums, apples, pears and peaches, and most vegetables, especially red and green ones.
Fiber
Fruits and vegetables also contain fiber, which serves two purposes. Insoluble fiber bulks up the food and helps it to pass through the colon. And soluble fiber can be a prebiotic, which means it feeds the beneficial bacteria in the gut. If you’re giving probiotics without prebiotics, you may be wasting your money.
Legumes like peas and beans are high in fiber but again, they are also high in starch so are best avoided for your dog.  Choose veggies like dandelion greens, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, kale, broccoli and cabbage as good fiber sources.
Related: How To Waste Money On Your Dog
So let’s take a look at the best plant sources of vitamins and minerals. Again, I haven’t included legumes, because they tend to be high in starches, which your dog doesn’t need.
Vitamin A
Carrots, squash, pumpkin, dandelion greens, kale, spinach, broccoli. Yellow fruits like apricots and peaches.
Vitamin B2
Broccoli, spinach, other green leafy vegetables.
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid)
Green leafy vegetables, broccoli.
Vitamin B9 (Folate)
Green leafy vegetables like broccoli, spinach.
Vitamin C
Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, kale. Fruits like citrus, berries, currants.
Vitamin K
Dark leafy greens like cabbage, kale, spinach, broccoli.
Calcium
Green leafy vegetables.
How To Feed Vegetables
Dogs’ digestive systems can’t break down the cellulose contained in the cell walls of vegetables very well. You can help him digest his veggies by ether steaming them lightly (which means you’ll lose some nutrients by cooking), or even better, finely chop or puree the raw vegetables for him. Feed organic veggies if you can, to avoid harmful pesticide residues; organic produce also has been found to contain higher levels of antioxidants and is almost 50% lower in toxic heavy metals.

When you have digested (no pun intended) the above I can give you more information on balancing the fats in your pup's diet, then give you information on feeding organs   -   raw feeding is not hard, but you do need to balance out the nutrients.   However one thing to bear in mind  -  the worst raw fed dog is still a hundred times better off than the best fed kibble dog   (personal opinion here - others will argue with me).

My old dog had the runs for the first three years of his life until I finally managed to get him on a raw diet -  one of my current dogs has severe food allergies and would have died if he had been kibble fed  (almost did anyway).     It is so much easier to cope with dietary issues when you know exactly what is in your dog's food.

If you message me with your email address I can send the other information off to you directly.

Lovely looking dog by the way  :lovebone:

On 10/31/2019 at 6:34 AM, wolfpup said:

Welcome to the forum.  Below is a list of the vitamin and mineral content of some raw meats to start you off.

CHICKEN PORK BEEF LAMB EGG SARDINES HERRINGS SALMON  
A A     A A A A  
B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1 B1  
B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2 B2  
B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3 B3  
B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5 B5  
B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6 B6  
B9 B9 B9 B9 B9 B9 B9    
B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12 B12  
          C C C LIVER  KIDNEY
        D D D D  
        E E E    
        K K K    
CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM CALCIUM  
COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER COPPER  
        IODINE IODINE IODINE IODINE  
IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON IRON  
MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM MAGNESIUM  
MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE MANGANESE  
PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS PHOSPHORUS  
POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM POTASSIUM  
SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM SELENIUM  
ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC ZINC

Fresh (frozen) sardines and herrings both contain every vitamin & mineral there is  -   if you also add about 1/16 teaspoon of spirulina or chlorella powder to the daily meal they will also be getting  99% of the trace minerals as well as more vitamins & minerals.    

This link will give you a list of all the meats containing  each vitamin and mineral  :    

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/raw-diets-for-dogs-getting-enough-vitamins-and-minerals/

This is the second part of the above:

Part II Vegetable Sources of Vitamins And Minerals
There can be many health benefits to giving your dog vegetables and fruits. Plants contain not just vitamins, but phytonutrients as well. While a dog wouldn’t survive without vitamins and minerals, phytonutrients play a role in helping to prevent or treat disease. So let’s go over phytonutrients first.
Phytonutrients
Phyto is Greek for plant, and phytonutrients are only in plants, not other foods. Phytonutrients help protect plants from damage, and when our dog eats these plants, he’ll also get protective benefits. Phytonutrients help protect against inflammation and can help prevent a wide range of diseases like cancer, pulmonary and cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

There are tens of thousands of phytonutrients in plants, all playing various roles, but here are some of the most important ones … and their vegetable or fruit sources.
Carotenoids
There are more than 600 carotenoids that all act as antioxidants in the body. This means they fight against free radical damage in the cells and the body.
Carotenoids are found in yellow, orange and red colored fruits and vegetables like squash, carrots, papaya, canteloupe.
Lycopene
This is another powerful antioxidant that can play a role in preventing and slowing cancer. Lycopene gives many vegetables their red color and it’s found in tomatoes, carrots, red cabbage, water melon.
Lutein
This is another carotenoid and antioxidant that’s known to protect the eyes skin and heart. It’s found in dark leafy greens and in yellow plants, including kale, broccoli, oranges and papaya.
Flavonoids
Flavonoids or bioflavonoids can regulate cell signaling in the body and they have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. In general, the more colorful the plant food, the higher it is in bioflavonoids. Quercetin and resveratrol are two popular flavonoids found in many fruits and vegetables.
Good sources of flavonoids are tree fruits like plums, apples, pears and peaches, and most vegetables, especially red and green ones.
Fiber
Fruits and vegetables also contain fiber, which serves two purposes. Insoluble fiber bulks up the food and helps it to pass through the colon. And soluble fiber can be a prebiotic, which means it feeds the beneficial bacteria in the gut. If you’re giving probiotics without prebiotics, you may be wasting your money.
Legumes like peas and beans are high in fiber but again, they are also high in starch so are best avoided for your dog.  Choose veggies like dandelion greens, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, kale, broccoli and cabbage as good fiber sources.
Related: How To Waste Money On Your Dog
So let’s take a look at the best plant sources of vitamins and minerals. Again, I haven’t included legumes, because they tend to be high in starches, which your dog doesn’t need.
Vitamin A
Carrots, squash, pumpkin, dandelion greens, kale, spinach, broccoli. Yellow fruits like apricots and peaches.
Vitamin B2
Broccoli, spinach, other green leafy vegetables.
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid)
Green leafy vegetables, broccoli.
Vitamin B9 (Folate)
Green leafy vegetables like broccoli, spinach.
Vitamin C
Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, kale. Fruits like citrus, berries, currants.
Vitamin K
Dark leafy greens like cabbage, kale, spinach, broccoli.
Calcium
Green leafy vegetables.
How To Feed Vegetables
Dogs’ digestive systems can’t break down the cellulose contained in the cell walls of vegetables very well. You can help him digest his veggies by ether steaming them lightly (which means you’ll lose some nutrients by cooking), or even better, finely chop or puree the raw vegetables for him. Feed organic veggies if you can, to avoid harmful pesticide residues; organic produce also has been found to contain higher levels of antioxidants and is almost 50% lower in toxic heavy metals.

When you have digested (no pun intended) the above I can give you more information on balancing the fats in your pup's diet, then give you information on feeding organs   -   raw feeding is not hard, but you do need to balance out the nutrients.   However one thing to bear in mind  -  the worst raw fed dog is still a hundred times better off than the best fed kibble dog   (personal opinion here - others will argue with me).

My old dog had the runs for the first three years of his life until I finally managed to get him on a raw diet -  one of my current dogs has severe food allergies and would have died if he had been kibble fed  (almost did anyway).     It is so much easier to cope with dietary issues when you know exactly what is in your dog's food.

If you message me with your email address I can send the other information off to you directly.

Lovely looking dog by the way  :lovebone:

Archived