Hi

Steelwolf

Welcome.

Adopt if you can. Especially if you have never dealt with this breed before. A lot of people do not do their research and get puppies. Then they give them up because they had no idea on how to train them. 

Do lots of research. Puppy stage (until 3 years from what I have learned and been told) can be very difficult and training will take lots of time.

Huskies are beautiful and worth the time! However, they are not managed like your Labs or GS dogs.

Yeah I get that. I had a few dogs before I've ben doing research They do shed a lot which I'm used to I had German shepherd hair and cat hair everywhere! lol I think the cat hair is worse then the dogs hair :'D I know they have lots of energy, which my GS does too.

They're 2 pups in rescues I found that I like but I'm afraid I won't get them.

We adopted ours...we had met several adult dogs before we picked Rumo.
On his home visit, he seemed to be a quiet settled sort of dog (he sniffed around, then took a nap while I talked with his foster mom) and I felt that he would be a good fit for our family (I work from home, so I needed a dog who would be willing to chill out while I am working).  Some of the other adult dogs, were very barky/vocal or seemed wired(couldn't settle) or had aggression towards other dogs of same sex, or weighed over 90 lbs...Rumo's "hitch" was that he could not be kept in a house with cats. But since we don't have a cat, we didn't care about that. 

Anyway take your time, check out their personality and energy level, look for a good fit!

@Steelwolf hi welcome to the group.

First of all , adopting is best, many will say it tuff to handle a husky puppy   , I will say ..its a very happy learning curve... you will njoy everything about it and also they are super energetic and cute.

Secondly,  I will ask the purpose of you thinking about a fur puppy , see many have dogs to Guard or Watch or some like me just for being with a fur baby. So you need to decide.. as Huskies are neither a guard dog nor a watch dog... they cud be trained to be watch dogs but .. its very hard and not reliable... if you are working and leaves dog alone at home for longer duration .. you can think of buying 2 pups at a time since they can company each other and tire them out physically and you wont have to be involved 100%. I mean u wud have to take care of 2 pups at a time that's different but again twice the fun :) .

I would advise you to read about them prior to have one... so u will have some idea.. they require high protein diet and they shed twice a year... they need regular exercise and they are pack animals.

PS : look for alpha nature in the dog if you are adopting 2 at a time.. both the pups shud not be pro alpha nature as it cud trigger a fight among them once they reach adulthood. Given both of same age since childhood , chances are less.

Sounds like a female husky might be the best bet then?

I've heard that huskies/GSDs have similar play styles...

Anyway I'd lean towards a rescue (a lot of people can not keep these dogs! there are so many grown huskies that pass through our local shelter).
But they always have some bad habits or "baggage". Ours used to flinch/duck at swinging arm or leash., and also he is not good with strangers (will growl, snap).

Pups are more work, and less sleeping...but you can teach them everything and they don't come with bad habits already learned.

On the other hand, it always feels good to save the life of a dumped dog.:-)

I know if I raise the dog wrong. But adults like I said, you don't know for sure how they were raised. I adopted 2 seniors. One of them supposedly liked kids, but she didn't. It's not her fault but the shelter said the person who surrendered her said that she liked kids.

Archived