Rough playing with new sister

Claire Clement

Here is the story:

We already have a 1 year old well socialized female Husky ( mochi). 3 days ago, we brought home a 4 months old female husky (Rora). (They did met each other before 4 times at the dog park. And my 1 year old is completely fine with rora. However, the way them play is a bit concerning to me because Mochi will occasionally groan, she will grab rora neck or collar and tries to drag her . Knowing Mochi is tough housing because she likes to grab the other dog's collar/neck or always tries to wrestle them down.

I attached a clip of them playing. Pls let me know if Mochi is too rough or playing inappropriately. there for we can correct her. 

To me, she looks like she's intimidating the pup a bit. The pup laid down flat (submit signal) but instead of backing off and letting her be, Mochi went for her again. The pup finally went under the bed to escape. I think the pup feels a little overwhelmed. When the pup gets bigger, she may turn on Mochi and they may have it out!

So I think you're right to question it, it does seem a bit "too much" on your big husky's end...

No different then how my two played as pups.

However, your 1 year old is taking it too far and it’s not fair that she is so much bigger.You need to correct this behavior. She is being a bit of a bully.

It is good that she is releasing when the pup whines but it shouldn’t get that far. The older looks up at you for guidance so that is also good that she is checking in. That tells me she should be easily taught on how to play nicer.

Throat grabbing and shaking is how they bring down prey in the wild.

It will cause issues later on.

Be carful on how you do this. It could cause more aggression. I used a spray bottle and tell them to release. There should also be a spot where the pup can go to be left alone or use as a time out.

Archived