What does a new owner have to know?

StepOnTheGas

I have a labxhusky which my family and I adopted a couple of months back. I have a lot of experience with Labradors, but Huskys' - total greenhorn! 

There are definitely some 'elements' of our boy that are unfamiliar territory to me! So, what would be your need-to-know info for a newbie like me? 

Can be silly, can be serious!

Unless you are 100% sure of how good their recall is don't let them off lead.

If people break into your house while you're away they will show them where all the good stuff is and jump in the back of the van.

Be prepared for fur. . . . so much fur. . . . everywhere, . . . . all the time.

If you don't get your shoulder dislocated the first time they see a squirrel, you're not a proper Husky owner.

Staring contests,. . . . they love staring contests.

You throw the ball for them, they amble over to it, pee on it then look at you to say "You threw it, YOU fetch it"

Unless your garden is built like fort Knox they WILL escape

Never leave a door open that leads to the outside world, Baby / pet gates blocking EVERY entrance.

Haha, ok, so

Recall - he has been let off once when I was having a brave day. We are now renting a secure enclosure for recall training.

Burglars - he actually hates the local drug dealers (yeah, I live in one of those places), and curses at them whenever they walk past. Maybe not husky there then

Fluff - we've invested in a good slicker brush

jesus Christ the pulling - no dislocated shoulders, but broken fingers, YES. He likes birds. Even ones that are 30 feet in the air.

staring - he does try to hypnotise me whenever he 'needs' a walk, which is apparently every 30 minutes. Buuuut, Labradors do this too!

fetch - oh, mine will fetch! But he wont let me have it. Chase me, chase me

He hasn't figured out an escape route yet!

Yep, we've invested in babygates!

I'm thinking my boy is relatively husky in personality - he throws some brilliant temper tantrums! Is that a husky thing?

16 minutes ago, StepOnTheGas said:

I'm thinking my boy is relatively husky in personality - he throws some brilliant temper tantrums! Is that a husky thing?

Oh yeah, they can and they talk back to you too

Andy has it pretty much down pat   -  one thing I've thought of is that they like to argue with you  - one of mine talks back to me all the time when I am trying to get him to do something he does not want to.  It really is like having an argument with a small child!  (or my hubby).  Also when he wants a lamb's rib treat  -  he will not give up until he gets one  - first he tries the cuddle & kisses route, then if that does not work he tries the head on my knee with his big brown sad eyes looking at me, (his cutest pose) then its a paw on my knee, if that one does not work he will try the other paw,  then he will try walking up me to give me a full body cuddle and nuzzles my neck to make me laugh   .............................. and if all else fails he will bark,     -   and bark,     - and bark  -  with a howl or two thrown in.   As soon as I say OK  he is off showing me the way to the fridge  -  my other boy  (new to the household) has been VERY quick to pick up on this trick and tries to join in.

Ohhh I have noticed this. Usually at something he doesn't like. He barks as well which is weird, so we get a happy mixture of both. And the 'huffing'! 

@wolfpup this sounds like mine! It took a bit of guess-work to figure out what he wants, though to be fair it's usually a walk. 

Mines' a bit of an obnoxious teen at the moment - do you have any tips on surviving this?

2 minutes ago, StepOnTheGas said:

Ohhh I have noticed this. Usually at something he doesn't like. He barks as well which is weird, so we get a happy mixture of both. And the 'huffing'! 

They make noises I have never heard from other dogs  -  unique to huskies,  mine can even trill,  do vibrato,  does a superb immitation of a three year old going  OHHHHHH!

Cannot speak for all huskies obviously  -   Marley is definitely a nutter  - but in the most endearing way possible, he is also stubborn,  wilful,  - and scarily intelligent.

My boy back talks some. He is really bad about putting his two cents in while I am trying to talk to a neighbor that we run into on a walk. LOL At the beginning of the teenage stage he would pee in my tub if he was in a mood or got in trouble for something. I would like to think I could recall him if he ever got loose. He is actually extremely protective of the house and me. He has done a couple of nasty growls at people he didn’t like.

The girl (his sister) only gets chatty if she wants her brother to play with her. She has gotten loose a few times and has shown she is to never be trusted. Uggg.

They both stop and stare at birds, airplanes, rabbits, and anything else that moves. Leaves 🍁 are their favorite. Then the chase is on...  

I always know everything is right with the world when I am woken up by them singing to me. When they don’t sign or do their zoomies, something is wrong with one or both. Good thing my neighbors actually enjoy hearing them. Hahha 

lets see any addvice......  Concrete your garden the husky side makes them like digging and they could pop up into next doors or futher aways garden 

there is a youtube video of a husky hole that has room enough for two huskys to go into turn around and pass each other.

Huskys can climb fences.  Be ready to find fur balls every where, I find clumps of fur in my oven.  They have a strong prey drive so a lunge and jump at a blown leaf can be common

Or getting dragged to one side  after a squrrel that just ran up a tree will also happen a lot

you could invest in Bungy lead and Walking Belt as a memmber of this site you can get a discount from Indi Dog

and you will have to hope your neighbours are ok with husky singing at all hours

Archived