Feisty Intact Husky

lokisthehusky

My husband and I adopted a 1yr 5 months old intact male husky about a month ago. He’s really social and gets along really well with all people. He also gets along with most dogs. I say most because he seems to always have issues with other intact dogs (e.g growling, fighting, or other dogs trying to attack him) Is this normal behavior among non-neutered dogs? 

He usually does well with neutered dogs. So I wasn’t sure if his issues were because the other dogs were also intact, or if this is a behavioral concern. 

From my experience.

Yes. It is because they are intact. Natural instinct. The strongest gets to breed. 

Yes. It is a behavioral concern. But it is natural behavior.

If you want to keep him intact keep him away from other intact dogs. This will become a learned behavior and he could start turning on neutered males or anything else.

We do want to get him neutered. Would neutering him help reduce/stop this behavior?

Yesterday, he got into a fight with a neutered male. But he played just fine with another neutered male yesterday as well. Someone said that it was probably because my dog was in a “bad mood;” he doesn’t have issues with neutered dogs usually. But I still worry his behavior may be getting worse. 

It’s hard to say.... 

I believe that unless your dog is of good bloodlines and is show quality, they should be neutered as soon as possible.

I have heard that neutering cures everything from Rabies to ALL behavioral issues. LOL 🤣

At this age I couldn’t tell you if it would have any impact. It could be a learned behavior now.  

I am going to lean towards this:

Find a behavioralist (that knows Huskies), have him evaluated. If not, you need to be strict about him being around other dogs. (Neutered or not) If he causes injury to another dog you will be  liable.

For as much as you could get sued for (at least where I live) Your best bet is to get him neutered, have him elevated, and train.

You are going to have to put in some serious training time. Be  consistent and really pay attention to this.

Is he mixed by chance? 

Huskies are not normally aggressive. 

I have heard that other dogs have a  tendency to be more aggressive towards Huskies because of how they carry themselves. Why give them extra ammo to use against your dog.

I wish I could tell you that neutering alone would solve it.

That would be an easy fix. LOL but at his age it very well could be learned at this point.

Keep in mind also it will take a few months after neutering for the  testosterone levels to lower. 

I had to go through 3 evaluators before I found someone that truly knew Husky behavior. So even if they say “o ya I know Huskies” watch how they interact with him.

My male was an a@$ before neutering and I still work with daily a year later. But we figured out he has a GI disease and when he is not feeling well his behavior changes. The other is he has obsession disorder ( he gets fixated on something) causes  possession aggression.

The reason I am saying this is, once you find the cause there is hope. It will just take a lot of patience and training.

I can now feed treats and even drop a treat without him attacking his sister. They can also now play with the same toy without getting into a fight.

28754B3F-33B4-4DCD-9E86-A7C29B33FD64.thumb.jpeg.0745134661951af0ce0cfe0b0a62a5fe.jpeg

and even lets the cat lay in his bed once in awhile. 

A1A07C04-9FF6-41F2-AD92-4BB8182B60B0.thumb.jpeg.df7e6d7c5c44fe412a2ac3237e7b5412.jpeg

Archived