Introduction

Tasha4528

Hi my names Tasha and I’m a first time husky owner her name is Luna and she’s 6 weeks old she’s a rescue as her mother ran away and the owners abandoned Luna. We got her last Friday when she was 5 weeks old. We also have a Border Terrier and 5 cats. Luna loves chasing round the cats and dogs and nipping them which we’re trying to nip in the bud as early as possible. Here’s some pictures of her 😁

652E1DAB-AEF1-4145-8C3C-26E219B8352F.png

3017637D-0569-468D-9F1D-EC8209354B44.png

Welcome to the forum.    What rescue would let a pup go at 5 weeks?    One of my rescued dogs was taken from mum too early  (know your situation is different)  and he missed out on very important 'life lessons' from his mum and siblings  ...........  which gave me some problems later on   - like bite inhibition   -   he had never learned to temper his nips  and bit everything and everyone.      If/when she bites you,  yelp loudly like a sibling would and move away from her.     This is only one way of letting them know that behaviour is not acceptable  - others here will be able to suggest other ways   -  but this worked for Marley.   

Hopefully at least one of your cats will stand his/her ground and will turn around and clip her behind her ears,  Huskies LOVE to chase things   -  at her age it is all a game,   but these games teach them things they need in adult life   -  like chasing their prey to kill and eat!    Hopfully your terrier will also put her in her place now and again.

IF/When she plays up later on,  try to remember she is not a bad dog  -  she missed out on the most informative weeks of a pup's life.   

She is gorgeous  :lovebone:

Welcome 

Got my two at 7 weeks. I started seeing behavioral issues around 4 months of age. 

LOTS of training. Lots of love and patience too.

Cats are a fun squeaky toy. Mine are good with my two but when I leave the house the cats are locked up away from the pups. I won’t chance it.

Even now at 18 months I probably spend 3 hours a day training. Split up of course through out the day but still. 

Make it fun. Keep it short (always end it while they still are interested) 

The nipping is natural. Don’t let anyone mouth play with her and pull away when she does it. I think mine were 3 months when it stopped. 

She looks like she is of good weight. 

Being so young away from mom and siblings will cause an issue but nothing that can’t be worked through. There are a lot of training videos on YouTube. 

Just remember these guys are not “normal” dogs. They will not catch on like labs and Shepards. You will have great days and you will have days were she acts like she doesn’t have a clue what you are asking. LOL

When you learn her personality you will be able to match the training technique to her and training will become easier and fun.

Be patient. Lots of positive reinforcement no negative. Lots and lots of training.

2 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Welcome to the forum.    What rescue would let a pup go at 5 weeks?    One of my rescued dogs was taken from mum too early  (know your situation is different)  and he missed out on very important 'life lessons' from his mum and siblings  ...........  which gave me some problems later on   - like bite inhibition   -   he had never learned to temper his nips  and bit everything and everyone.      If/when she bites you,  yelp loudly like a sibling would and move away from her.     This is only one way of letting them know that behaviour is not acceptable  - others here will be able to suggest other ways   -  but this worked for Marley.   

Hopefully at least one of your cats will stand his/her ground and will turn around and clip her behind her ears,  Huskies LOVE to chase things   -  at her age it is all a game,   but these games teach them things they need in adult life   -  like chasing their prey to kill and eat!    Hopfully your terrier will also put her in her place now and again.

IF/When she plays up later on,  try to remember she is not a bad dog  -  she missed out on the most informative weeks of a pup's life.   

She is gorgeous  :lovebone:

My terrier is the biggest softy he walks round the room when she’s in the middle to avoid getting bitten. The cats are sticking up though and I’ll definitely give it a shot thank you. We had a friend that found out gypsies had a female husky that had given birth but the mum ran away so they were selling underage puppies for profit and got one but had no experience with dogs and knew we had experience so gave her to us and as there was someone who could look after her and she wasn’t ill the rspca didn’t feel the need to take her into care so she’s now with our family. And thank you she really is beautiful.

2 minutes ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Welcome 

Got my two at 7 weeks. I started seeing behavioral issues around 4 months of age. 

LOTS of training. Lots of love and patience too.

Cats are a fun squeaky toy. Mine are good with my two but when I leave the house the cats are locked up away from the pups. I won’t chance it.

Even now at 18 months I probably spend 3 hours a day training. Split up of course through out the day but still. 

Make it fun. Keep it short (always end it while they still are interested) 

The nipping is natural. Don’t let anyone mouth play with her and pull away when she does it. I think mine were 3 months when it stopped. 

She looks like she is of good weight. 

Being so young away from mom and siblings will cause an issue but nothing that can’t be worked through. There are a lot of training videos on YouTube. 

Just remember these guys are not “normal” dogs. They will not catch on like labs and Shepards. You will have great days and you will have days were she acts like she doesn’t have a clue what you are asking. LOL

When you learn her personality you will be able to match the training technique to her and training will become easier and fun.

Be patient. Lots of positive reinforcement no negative. Lots and lots of training.

Thank you for your reply I’ll definitely give it a shot and see how it goes 

Archived