Neighbours

Sarah

Help........

Neighbours have got a dog, she's about 18 months old and is a dalmation crossed with erm, dunno. They got her from a family who said she was house trained and didn't need a crate - How wrong they were!

The dog does nothing but whine and cry constantly i'm dreading summer as i have my back windows open but really don't want to listen to that all the time!

They've also said the other day that she's pooping in her cage and in the house. I thought that dogs didn't like to mess where they lived?

I get on well with next door and want to help them if i can, anyone got any ideas??

are your neighbours out alot of the time? It may be an anxiety problem with her.

Here is a link explaining about separation anxiety. http://www.petlibrary.co.uk/dog-training/separation-anxiety-in-dogs-how-to-treat-it.html?Itemid=34

I don't know if this is definately what it is. I would advise your neighbours to seek advise from a behaviourist.

Dalmations are a high-energy dog and require LOTS of exercise, much like our Sibes. They were originally bred to run beside horse-drawn carriages 'back in the day'.

Plenty of exercise before putting the dog in the crate would benefit this dog, in my opinion. Exercise would provide ample time for the dog to take care of business and would assist in calming the dog down during crate time. (However, a tired dalmation, like a tired Sibe - is difficult to find!)

The size of the crate should also be looked at. If the crate is too large, it provides space for the animal to do it's business and still have a clean area to lie down in. Crates should be large enough for the dog to turn around in and little more (of course should be tall enough for them to stand.)

Your neighbor may also want to consider feeding and water options. If the problem continues even after providing more exercise, they may want to think about removing food/water from the dog for a period of time before crating.