Aggression issues with my new rescue

huskytamer

Hi Everybody,

This summer I rescued my second sibe. My first sibe had all the usual husky traits: he would bolt out an open door, slipped our fence, killed rabbits in our back yard, pulled on the leash; and he was a wonderful boy who I camped with, hiked with, ran with, and loved for 12 amazing years. Training helped him a ton and he aged like a fine wine. So now I am on my second boy, a husky mix whom I named Oscar. Oscar has been perfect in the first two weeks, he listens when I tell him "off", he is calm in the house, walks very well on a leash, goes for runs with me in the park, and gets along with our 2 year old Alaskan Klee Kai, in the house... in the yard is a different story. He rough houses and scares my little girl and even pinned her down once, so no more backyard off the leash until he learns to be gentle. So yesterday I made a huge mistake and took him to our local dog park. I only did this because the woman I rescued him through had him living with her five house huskies and said he was sweet as can be with them and accepted them all. So I thought, okay he's socialized, let him run a little in the park with the other dogs. Big mistake. He was fine the first five minutes and then a pit bull started rough housing with him and he got wound up and ended up chasing down and biting a small female beagle for no apparent reason. He left a small puncture wound and the owner and I exchanged contact info after I apologized profusely. She called me later to tell me her dog was fine and she was able to put in two staples to close the puncture (she was a vet tech). So now I am worried and could use some advice since I never had this issue with my first husky, he loved everybody and every dog. Oscar is only 19 months old so I think it was too much too soon, but I could use some advice on how to make sure this doesn't happen again, other than obviously avoiding the dog park. This looks like prey drive to me since he was fine with the bigger dogs in the park and went after a much smaller dog, giving chase and grabbing her by the neck. I take my dogs everywhere with me so I need to be able to trust him. Any advice is appreciated. 

I do not take mine to dog parks. Too much space, freedom, and unpredictable dogs.

With that said.... Mine go to doggie daycare. The owner knows Husky behavior and my pups (18 months) personality very well.  They are never left unattended, they are never ever put in with a dog half their size or smaller, and they are never grouped with dogs no matter their size that do not tolerate their  shenanigans. 

I don’t know what yours is mixed with or truly what your dogs back ground is but here is somethings to consider.

Another small animal running triggers a hunt kill instinct. If another dog is smaller and is running around him, his natural instincts are to chase and bit and well kill it.

They get overly excited. Your lucky he had some self control. 

In his own home (that ladies house)in an environment he knew his house mates, he knew his limits, and was probably put in his place a time or two. He is not going to bring that info into a new place or use it with new dogs. 

These guys are hunters. I am constantly keeping an eye on my two when I see their personalities change (getting into the red zone) during play I have to guide them out of it. 

It took some time and there were yelps and booboos but they are learning. 

Mine are brother and sister so they can get really super rough during play. Hopefully you can see the video.

I rescued another husky around 7 weeks ago (3.5 years old)  -  he too, had been living with five other huskies in foster.   He came to me with details of him being really easy going, a gentleman, walking nicely on lead, non reactive,  living happily with a cat in his original home  (I also have a cat). He is bigger and stronger than my other husky  -  both males.    The first few weeks were really rough   -  2 and 3 fights a day   - he overwhelmed my existing boy who has the gentlest nature.    He has also made it his mission in life to kill my cat.

He was obviously well behaved when living with an extisting pack of five other dogs,  -  probably knew he would get his backside handed to him in short order  - but when he only had Marley to contend with  -   it was a different story.     I ended up separating them on either side of a 4ft gate for lengthy periods,  no toys were allowed  (still are not),  playtime is still supervised  -  although for the last few weeks Marley has been poorly after an operation went wrong  -  and Mikey has been so much better -  he knows Marley is not up to rough-housing somehow and has really reigned in his natural instinct.

Because of how I see him react to my cat  (through the 4ft gate)  I know he cannot be trusted with smaller dogs   -  although he has met some on lead and is fine   -  I would only take the dogs to a secure dog park where they are the only dogs in it (there is one about 40 miles away you can hire)  -  his prey drive is very very high.     

There have been no fights whilst Marley was under the weather  -  but he is getting stronger by the day and play sessions are getting more and more boistrous - so we are on guard again.

I would trust Marley with anything  (except  a strange cat in our garden)   but would not trust Mikey with anything if he is off lead   -  on lead we at least have some control.    If Mikey were to go somewhere where he could meet other smaller dogs off lead then he would have to be muzzled or things could get bad very quickly.

Thank you both for your input, you have given me some really good insight into how to manage Oscar until he can learn to be gentle with smaller dogs. He is currently doing great with my 13 lb. Alaskan Klee Kai, very gently with her when he plays in the house, so I think he has accepted her as the alpha. Outside I put him on a long lead so that he can run with her but not close in. They both seem to like that time together a lot so things are really looking up. He starts obedience class next Monday and already knows sit, stay, and wait so we are making progress. No more dog parks from here on out, which is fine because my fenced in yard is big enough that he can sprint and get his energy out. I will post updates as they come and may have more questions for you both. Thanks again.

It sounds like you got a good handle on it.

Mine are super friendly. However, they just play so rough and they work together tag teaming. It would only be a matter of seconds before seriously taking out a smaller dog (animal). 

Some things to keep in mind during obedience classes. Not all dogs learn the same, he will have moody days and on these days don’t push him. (It back fires on me and my male has gotten really upset and he pees in my tub if I push him too much. My girl will flatten herself out and refuses to move if she is not in the mood LOL). I went through 4 trainers and still ended up doing it myself. I do have a guy that I work with once in awhile if I am lost or having issues with something.

Archived