Puppy Pooping when alone

Brivent

Hello everyone,

Here is the situation.  We recently adopted from a shelter our 2nd husky Raven, our first, Rex, is 4 years old.  She is a sweet pup that gets along great with her big brother. Her first week or so home she had pretty bad diarrhea (probably stress-all test were neg.) and had some accidents in her crate at night, but she is now having mostly normal poops. Raven is currently 16 weeks old.    When we are home she is doing pretty good with the potty training, still accidents here and there but to be expected.  The problem we are experiencing is 9/10 times we leave her home alone she poops, and steps in it and gets it EVERYWHERE.  We were putting her in her crate when we left (she does fine in crate at night for most part), but she absolutely hates the crate when alone, never settling down and pacing the entire time(we have a camera so we can see what she is up to). So after talking to some people, including our vet, we locked her in a pretty decent size bathroom.  Still didn't like it and still smeared the poop everywhere.  Now we are considering leaving her out and blocking access to rooms we don't want her in, at least this way she wouldn't smear the poop everywhere-hopefully.  Any advice is appreciated.  Is this a sign of separation anxiety? Would leaving her out, where she could play/hang with Rex be better.  

Also she wakes us up at least twice a night to go pee/poop still.  Should she be making it through the night yet? We take her out about 10:30, then bedtime.  

Last question-Raven and Rex play very rough.  I know this is typical husky play, but Rex tends to like to grab her by the neck a lot.  He is not clamping down hard at all, but at times Raven will let out a little cry.  

And yes we do take her out right before we leave to go potty, sometimes she goes, sometimes not. doesn't seem to matter as she has done it even though she pooped right before we left.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Tim

How long is she left during the day?  At 4 months old I wouldnt expect her to be fully toilet trained at all 

With rough play if you think it's getting too much or he isnt listening to her yelps,  you separate them let them both calm down,  he'll soon  learn being too rough makes the fun stop 

Thanks for the response BingBlaze,

She isn't in the crate to long at all.  My mother in law is home all day with our kids and she really only leaves to take our youngest to pre school, maybe gone a total of 25-40 min and go to the bus stop for our older one.  Again maybe 25-40 min.  And this is after she will be outside for a good amount of time where she can go potty.  

I get accidents happen, but never had a pup step in it and smear it all over.  Does this all seem normal still for her age.  She just seems to do it whenever she is alone.  If we are home she can make it a couple hours with no accident.

Despite this we are very lucky to have found this sweet little pup.  I know it will get better.  Just want to make sure we are doing things right

My girl still cannot hold it all night.

I also only leave them for a max of two hours and it is during their nap time.

Mine are blocked off in the hallway so they don’t destroy my house or hurt each other playing on the couch.

Keep a strict schedule, pull food and water (I don’t do this but) I think 2 hours before bed. 

I did a lot of posting about neck grabbing. Mine would grab, clamp down, and shack. It was actually becoming a medical issue.

I use a spray bottle. I said release and then sprayed them. Now all I have to do is say release.

Hopefully these videos come up for you.

Also the stepping in poop is from being in the shelter. Keep up with the potty training and that will slowly go away.

Thank you 2huskyfun,

Did you ever crate your pups? I ask because I really am curious if she would handle be blocked off in the kitchen better than a crate.  I think she is smart enough already to know that are older husky Rex is not locked up in a crate and I cant help but wonder if that adds to her current hatred of the crate.

I have them crate trained and will crate if I have guest come over. They also have to be in their crates for meal time, because my male is food aggressive. I also have transport crates.

A23E8CFA-D757-47DE-B64D-35A23986E950.thumb.jpeg.daf327493e2b73668ca956e35741dc81.jpeg

699BA62B-6CE4-4087-BF6B-E7C9B58C579E.thumb.jpeg.30062e089820b97da4c0c79d86eb5aea.jpegA2E72FD0-942A-413C-B06D-E53645C293C2.thumb.jpeg.d200d478de7619f8c9ead7e528ce11ad.jpeg

It does make my pups worse and my girl has popped all the wiring in the back LOL

Mine are not aloud in the kitchen. Get baby latches for the cabinets and child proof door knobs. Lock your stove. Make sure there are no knives or anything that can be swallowed.

I have seen X-rays of a dog swallowing a steak knife 😮.

Archived