Trainer said my pup is not highly motivated to train.

Sitti

Hello everyone! My pup Pocholo just finished his assessment for basic training. The trainer observed for a little bit and interacted with Pocholo. Afterwards he told us that just as suspected. My pup is not highly motivated. He was given treats, toys, you name it. Unfortunately, he loses interest so fast. He said that it’s not impossible to train but if he would give a percentage of how much he could train him, he said 50%. He also mentioned that, he’s worked with copper huskies before and same issues. Not highly motivated. Is this true??? 

25133D45-5E8B-4A53-B07F-E70ADB5E7A4E.jpeg

Huskys are an Indipendant type, you can train them basic stuff  but when they get to about 18 months 2 years old the true husky side takes over and most training will go out the window

They respond best to food  and you must work on recall every day,  I am not saying husky can not be trained just they take a lot of work and will some days react  to a command  with ..... what is in it for me if i do it

its like a lot of huskys will just look at you  with a if you wanted the ball why did you throw it away look

they will never be in the obediance class it dog shows but they can learn to do some things and will mostly do it if you have a pocket full of treats but just expect  them to some days ignore everything you ask

My personal recomendation for treats is small slivers of hot dog, you can cut one up into 20/30 slices  and they tend to find them very tasty

I can only speak of my two.

As puppies (until 14 months of age) they were little sponges. Loved learning!

My girl was extremely hard when it came time to find something to motivate her with. It is harder now. But she doesn’t like brother being able to do something she can’t LOL

First. What you are going through, I think is absolutely normal.

Need to find a trainer that actually knows Huskies! Or save your money and just train yourself. Lots of great YouTube videos I personally like Jeff out of Maine SolidK9.  They are stubborn and one of the hardest breeds to train.

I have been told over and over. Can’t start training until 16 months of age, they will never be trainable, there is no way you will be able to train them together.

Not to toot my own horn, but my pups are awesome!!! 😁 I am a very proud momma and get compliments everywhere I take them. 

I started them at 4 months and we train EVERY day. We do daycare once a week now (they are getting to be too much for the kennel attendants LOL- they were going 3x a week. I am the only one they listen to.. and they both are pushing 60 lbs and can be bullies when they want. 

What I typed out in your other post is exactly what I did starting at 4 months and still do to this day.

Mix it up and have fun with it you and her will figure out what works best for you guys. Once you learn what she likes what her personality is you will be able to work with her.

Don’t get frustrated don’t get mad at her. There will be days they are pissy with me and don’t want anything to do with me (daycare days are amazing for this).

Lots of play. My girl will not play outside for some reason she just wants her walks. I have to have a 5 minute play time outside prior to walking my boy to get energy out before walks.

I would not trust a trainer that has never LIVED with a Husky. 😉

Marley was different   -  in class he did everything asked of him   -  as soon as class was over - he reverted to his normal crazy self   -  its like living with a whirling Dervish  cross hurricane.  He was allowed his first walk today  after surgery  then corrective surgery  -  and managed to pull hubby over all on his own  ............ hubby is over 6ft tall and Marley weighs 25 kilos !

Just now, wolfpup said:

Marley was different   -  in class he did everything asked of him   -  as soon as class was over - he reverted to his normal crazy self   -  its like living with a whirling Dervish  cross hurricane.  He was allowed his first walk today  after surgery  then corrective surgery  -  and managed to pull hubby over all on his own  ............ hubby is over 6ft tall and Marley weighs 25 kilos !

Good to hear he is feeling better 

🤣

I have found that trainers seem to have stereotypes about huskies. Our obedience teacher came up to me and literally said, ”well, with his breed, it is what it is.”  Another lady pulled her car up alongside us and said, “I am a dog trainer, I know that breed*, and I’m amazed at how well your dog walks on leash!” 

Anyway, what use is it to prejudge? Just work a little with your dog every day, and teach your dog to be the best she can be. Maybe she won’t be a Lab with a string of titles, but at least she can learn to walk nicely on leash, come when called, have basic house manners, etc. 

* actually she doesn’t know the breed, because he is half white GSD, ha ha...

Archived