Husky diet questions and concerns

nandish

Hello !

My partner and I just got a husky puppy a week ago and we are loving it ! I have attached a picture of her too. She is 9 weeks old as of now. I had a few concerns regarding her diet and behaviour:-

• She eats too fast !!! If I put 120grams of Hills Science Diet Puppy Large Breed  she eats it very quickly, within 5 minutes and the bowl is sparkling clean. Is this a problem?
  • Two times since we got her home which is around a week, she got hyperactive and snapped at me. I do not know why, probably hungry? I reduced the quantity of food (to around 100grams of food per meal) that I feed her regularly and she snapped in the evening when she was hyperactive. Can this be related the amount of food?
  • Should I change the puppy food? Or should I take her for a longer walk to get her more exercised? 

Thank you for your help in advance. 

Nandish

image.png

IMG_3120.jpg

She is a beauty!

The usual amount of exercise is around 5 minutes per month of age a couple of times a day  so 10 mins  at a time -  taking her too far may well store up trouble later.     Cannot help with the food  -   I am a raw feeder.    There are many different types of bowls you can get that slows down how fast a dog can eat.     What were you/she doing when she snapped?

Sooo cute.

Like @wolfpupsaid. 5 minutes per month. 3 or 4 times a day. Don’t make her run. Too much can damage bone growth and cause health issues later on.

Plus if she is overly tired (just like human babies) you will have one cranky pup. 

Yes, please get her off that food. I cannot stand Science Diet. Horrible food.

I feed my girl 3 times a day 1/4 cup a feeding then 1/4 cup worth of treats. Too much food and bad quality food causes digestion issues. You can spend money 💰 on good food or spend money on vet bills.

I feel the snapping is a behavioral issue. First, pups do that, second she needs to learn manners.

She would have learned not to do this from her litter mates and mom. But it seems she was taken from them too soon to learn that. Now you have to teach her.

There are a tone of different ways to do it. You can google it.

But yelling, hitting, any harsh punishment will make it worse. 

I would play with mine and as soon as I felt teeth I would turn away and not play with that one. Wait a few minutes and then try it again.

But there is a difference between play mouthing and actually snapping nasty.

My male was an extremely bad aggressive snapper. He doesn’t do it anymore (with me LOL). Between working with him and getting him neutered it seemed to have corrected on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived