Help

Michelle619

Ok headS up some of this is gross!

So I got my Siberian husky when he was 8 weeks old his name is Dexter. Since day one of having him he has had constant runny stools! I think he has had maybe 3 firm poops in the whole time Iv had him he is nearly 16 weeks old. Iv had numerous vets visits which are costing me a fortune but not actually fixing the problem! He was originally on his puppy food I introduced a different one slowly to see if that helped him. It didn't. TheN we tried chicken that didn't work. Tried chicken and rice that didn't work. Tried grain free that didn't work. Tried the gastro food that didn't work. Vet gave him pro kolin that didn't work. So I did his chicken and rice once more but did too much rice and his stools literally went to water. He was crying and being sick so I took him to the Vets instantly. She said try switching him back to the dry puppy kibble and she gave me a higher dose of pro kolin which she said may make him Constipated and she gave him some injection to stop the vomiting and pain. Well she gave me 3 days worth of this pro-kolin. It's changed colour so it's not so watery but it's still awfully runny. He was eating some of the grown up dogs food which we stopped and he's been on consistent food for a while now but still nothing. Stool firming tablets haven't worked...he drinks plenty of water he's his usual back chatting stubborn cheeky energetic self! He eats just fine and not being sick or crying or anything? He's gaining weight perfectly. There's nothing wrong with him health wise. He had his stool sample tested when we first went to the vet about it and it came back with colitis to which she gave him anti biotic but again nothing changed, and she said there was nothing else wrong with him. He's been wormed and had flea treatment regularly. I'm just at a loss of what to do.

LOL

O ya... been there. Totally normally. Mine are 17 months now (had them since 7 weeks) just now in the past 2 months got solid stool.

(Go to the vet if you haven’t already and get a simple blood work up and physical done to rule out anything serious)

Heads up on  serious long term health issues though if not handled now. They are not digesting  nutrients when they have the runs.* I truly believe that pups that did not get the  nutrients they needed become eaters of foreign objects.*

1st: They will have the runs if feed too much. Skip a meal (dinner). Only give a 1/4 of breakfast. 1/4 of lunch. 1/4 dinner. This should only be done for no more then two days for an otherwise healthy pup.

Treats need to be counted in amount of food. No treats given when doing amount testing.

If poop firms up SLOWLY increase amount. 16 weeks should be feed 3 to 4 times a day equaling (I think I did 2 cups a day) 

Depending on your dogs GI... Once you start seeing loose stool again you will know the amount to stop at.

2nd: Good old food allergies. There is food allergies and there is intolerance. Face swelling, face itching, vomiting within an hour or so are allergies. Diarrhea, body itching, vomiting randomly, red skin are intolerance. 

You can either pay around $500 for a test that is 50%  accurate, let the vet talk you into long term shots that have nasty serious side effects, or take the time a do trial and error at home. (I did this one)

A good intolerance can take 3 to 6 weeks to appear. Food intolerances can change every 6 months. 

Google the list of top food allergies for dogs.  Eliminate all of them.

Keep to one single protein. Limited ingredient. Mine was/is turkey.

In 3 months see if the symptoms have lessened or completely gone away. If not recheck the ingredients and  eliminate something else.

No treats, no table scraps, no nothing.

I used their kibble for treats during training.

I also only feed them while they worked for it. (6 months to 9 months) 

Mine are intolerant of: chicken, carrots, lamb, cranberry, blueberries, elk, eggs, dairy, frogs and my girl has allergies to grass.

3rd: spend the money on a good quality Pro/Prebiotic and enzymes along with an Omega 3 with DHP and (E something or nother) this will truly make all the difference.

I spent way too much money and time at the vets and filled my pups up with all kinds of meds that they did not need to be on. Now I am playing catch-up and dealing with GI disease.

When your pup has the runs all the time, it is frustrating and can drive you mad. Most people that never went through it don’t understand.

But you can figure this out and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Don’t feel silly with the  excitement you will feel when he has gone a whole week with solid poops. Just laugh and enjoy it.

Hang in there. 

Iv done the vets they haven't found anything really. He has biscuits down all day but only eats them in bursts about 2 or 3 times a day. We have other dogs here not husky who were too used to having biscuits down. He's stopped touching there's. I took out the treats for training and used a puppy kibble also for that so he wasn't eating too many treats. He's on a food that feeds him nutrients and we are trying the stool firmers containing the extra nutrients. If this doesn't work I will try this new liquid I saw. I'm sure the rice was a big issue and possibly chicken. I think I will keep trying the trial and error. Obviously if things get bad I'll have to go back to vets but in the mean time I guess trial and error as you said! And yes it's very frustrating having to hose the garden down and clean it up is disgusting compared to the solid dogs!

Third cup of coffee and reread your text...

There is a reason why I go to a  holistic vet that KNOWS Huskies.

Most vets don’t understand how Huskies are.

I feed mine Instinct Limited Ingredients Turkey. Dry and can. That is it.

Was doing cooked for awhile but my male just blow out his gut and I had to switch back to old faithful. He has leaky gut syndrome and anything too fatty, or if he gets stressed, change of schedule destroys his insides.

First time putting them on it, (they were about your pups age) it took about two weeks for them to start getting solid poop.

Because of the ingredients this really is not supposed to be for long term feeding. But try it for six months with a good quality Prebiotic Probiotic and enzymes with an Omaga 3. ( introduced slowly) This is an adult dog food also. So shorter they are on it the better but it provided a great baseline for the food intolerance testing.

Everything goes well switch to one of the other lines.

ProPlan actually has a stomach one. (It says a lot when I suggest a  Parina. Not a fan at all. But looks like something that would work)

Yeah I'm trying a new diet food for a few months now so it's more consistent as I was swapping too often in the beginning I think. I'll see how that goes first then will look at a different one. Have been replacing nutrients though as I had a feeling he wasn't keeping the nutrients. He's gaining at a very healthy rate though he's 14.2kg last vet visit! 

My Utonagan had the runs for the first three years of his life  -  then I managed to change him to raw food and he did fantastically for the next 11 years.    One of my huskies has food allergies to :    High positive for Soya and Potatoes    Positive for wheat, corn, rice, oats, carrots, peas and sugar beet.    He is so bad with soya that he cannot eat any meat that has been fed soya in its lifetime,  so no poultry of any kind and no pork,  and no farmed fish.     I agree that too many changes of food is not good.     However have you tried him on things like eggs, sardines in spring water   -  or preferably the fresh whole sardine - or herring.   Both of these contain every vitamin & mineral there is  -  and as they are prey fish they contain far fewer toxins than fish higher up in the food chain like salmon & cod etc.

At his worst Marley was on white fish only  for two weeks  (raw)  then allowed one new food every week.   I agree with 2Huskyfun -  pre and probiotics  -  preferably healthy dog-gut bacteria  (from healthy dog poo).

This week we moved him onto wilkos own puppy kibble I didn't have very high hopes. I gave him a stool firmer which was packed full of the nutrients he needed that he may not get from the kibble, he also had some chicken last night as a treat, but finally he's had a solid poop! I got way too excited. I even ran across the garden to double check! Now to see if it stays that way! If it doesnim going to keep him on this for a couple weeks help him build back up and then slowly introduce a few more treats like the fish etc. Thanks everyone for the help :)

Archived