Marley back in surgery at the moment after op on Monday

wolfpup

On Monday Marley went into surgery to remove a very deep sebaceous cyst that keeps blowing up.     My normal vet did not want to do surgery because he said it was too close to an important nerve in his spine.    However around 4 weeks ago it burst again, very late on a Saturday night and I was on my own.     I cleaned it up as best I could and got out as much gunk as possible.    Last Saturday  when the scab was coming off  more gunk came out and loads of very hard lumps.    I took them to the vets (with Marley) but could not see my usual vet as he was away for 2 weeks  -  I saw his partner instead.      After looking at the fresh wound he said that it had to be operated on and removed or it would keep coming back every few months for the rest of his life   (it has come back three times in 9 months).

P1020191.thumb.png.bc6e09c6f7fbaca7524e2bf535b63194.pngThe incision is around 3 1/2" long   -  this was how it looked around 11am this morning.     By 11.30am it had opened completely so I had to rush him straight back to the vet.    Unsurprisingly I got straight in to see the vet  -  he was bleeding all over the place.    He is currently back in surgery to have it restitched  -  this time probably with staples as the disolvable stitches originally put in did not hold.       

He cannot wear a 'cone of shame' as he panics so much and has epileptic fits  - so the vet thinks they may have to give him a Thunder shirt so he cannot get to it,  - and more importantly neither can Mikey - who is way too interested in it.      Also he said he would try to up his pain meds with a long acting injectable pain killer.

So that's two anaesthetics in 3 days  -  with another one in 10 days to remove the stitches    -    Marley will not sit still for them to take them out - it takes three to hold him just for a sedation injection.   (Drama queen does not even come close to Marley).

His epileptic fits have always occurred when he is coming round from sleep   -   so he really does not need this.     When he went in for the original op at 8am  he was first on the list  -  but it took him so long to come round I could not pick him up until after 7pm    -   they rang me at noon to say he was starting to come round from the anaesthetic  -  but he took another 7 hours before I could get him home.    Think I am going to be in for a long night.

4 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Poor boy , hope he heals up soon , cysts arent fun I had one that kept bursting had to have it removed too , got a horrible scar now 

This might help unless they're providing the thunder shirt ? 

Screenshot_20190726-110111_Facebook.jpg  a

Unfortunately the cyst is on his spine  and this would leave it exposed    -   I have heard of/seen  a 'body suit' and have emailed my vets to see if they can get one for him

He is home   -  they have put in full stitches  -  which means he will have to have another anaesthetic in 10 days time to take them out..................... he does not need this with his epilepsy  -  which usually happens when he  is coming out of sleep normally.     They have given him Gabapentin for pain killers   -  which is obvously stronger than the paracetamol they gave him before   - but he will not eat   -  so I am having trouble giving him the pain meds.    He is sleeping because of the anaesthetic  - but is in pain so keeps waking up   -  wont take the pain killers.

I feel totally useless.   I have tried all his usual favourites, cheddar cheese, cream cheese  and my usual failsafe  -  sardines  -  he just wont eat anything.    I know I will lose a finger if I try to force a couple of capsules down his throat  -  but I am at the stage that it just might be worth it.    He is also on antibiotics  -   its taken me around 6 months to try and repair the damage done by his last lot of antibiotics  because of the salmonella poisoning  -   and when this lot is done I have to start all over again.

At least this vet is more open to listening to more natural options and has given me healthy dog gut bacteria tablets for when the antibiotics are finished  -  and I already have a supply of arabinogalactin  from the USA  to act as a prebiotic  so that the probiotics have something to eat  whilst they are trying to repopulate his gut  after the atom bomb of the antibiotic.

In for a sleepless night

have you tried a chicken and rice/noodle soup,  yes soup  put it in a liquidizer so no lumps and he might drink his dinner  (you may have to add chicken stock if its too thick to thin it out)

5 hours ago, PaulG said:

have you tried a chicken and rice/noodle soup,  yes soup  put it in a liquidizer so no lumps and he might drink his dinner  (you may have to add chicken stock if its too thick to thin it out)

Unfortunately he cannot have rice or chicken because of his food allergies.    Am going to the butchers today for some marrow bones and will make another batch of bone broth.    I stayed up with him till 4.30am  then hubby took over and I got around 3 hours sleep.     Finally got the gabapentin down him.      

12 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Unfortunately he cannot have rice or chicken because of his food allergies.    Am going to the butchers today for some marrow bones and will make another batch of bone broth.    I stayed up with him till 4.30am  then hubby took over and I got around 3 hours sleep.     Finally got the gabapentin down him.      

sorry forgpt about those,   but i wish him well

Stayed up till 4.30am  when hubby came downstairs to take Mikey out for his morning walk   -   Marley not allowed out for a walk until Saturday - then just around the block.     He is more awake and 'with it' today thankfully    -  but still cannot get his pain meds down him.      he falls asleep then wakes up with a massive yelp and wimpering.   I cannot stand to see him in pain but just cannot get him to eat anything with his pain meds in -  or his antibiotics  -  and believe me I've tried everything in my arsenal.   Food,  cheddar cheese,  cream cheese, bone broth  etc.   The wound is leaking again  -  no blood  just plasma  -  so tomorrow I am starting him on Calendula    -  the vets have done everything they can   -  now its me that has to step up to the plate to help my furbaby.

The worst thing is that he has lost some of his trust in me.   I took him to the vet and left him there -   - even though he was howling and screaming for me to come help him   -  the vet hurt him and I then came to pick him up  -  and he has been in pain ever since   -  and then I took him back to the vet and left him there again  -  and when he came out he was in even worse pain.     I cannot get him to take his pain meds so he is still in pain.   I am a freaking mess inside -  which is not helping!   Hence taking over with the calendula to try and help him myself  -  but have been in touch with the vets again today.    The bandage they put on slipped overnight  but was so tight I could not put it back so had to cut if off  -  he is now wearing two tee-shirts to stop him biting at the wound and ripping the stitches   (cannot wear a collar).

Tomorrow I am getting non-stick dressings, crepe bandages, Calendula tincture  (left for 10 mins to evaporate the alchohol)   -  I can replace these every day if necessary.   I know I can get the wound to heal  -  just hope I can get it to heal without an infection inside.

Calendula is antimicrobial as well as being an excellent wound and skin healer.    The antibiotics are  'just in case'   so I am not so bothered about them at the moment, its the pain meds    -   although hubby did manage to get this morning doses down him this morning in with his sardines   - so that should keep him going for 12 hours  thankfully.

On 8/14/2019 at 3:55 PM, wolfpup said:

He is home   -  they have put in full stitches  -  which means he will have to have another anaesthetic in 10 days time to take them out..................... he does not need this with his epilepsy  -  which usually happens when he  is coming out of sleep normally.     They have given him Gabapentin for pain killers   -  which is obvously stronger than the paracetamol they gave him before   - but he will not eat   -  so I am having trouble giving him the pain meds.    He is sleeping because of the anaesthetic  - but is in pain so keeps waking up   -  wont take the pain killers.

I feel totally useless.   I have tried all his usual favourites, cheddar cheese, cream cheese  and my usual failsafe  -  sardines  -  he just wont eat anything.    I know I will lose a finger if I try to force a couple of capsules down his throat  -  but I am at the stage that it just might be worth it.    He is also on antibiotics  -   its taken me around 6 months to try and repair the damage done by his last lot of antibiotics  because of the salmonella poisoning  -   and when this lot is done I have to start all over again.

At least this vet is more open to listening to more natural options and has given me healthy dog gut bacteria tablets for when the antibiotics are finished  -  and I already have a supply of arabinogalactin  from the USA  to act as a prebiotic  so that the probiotics have something to eat  whilst they are trying to repopulate his gut  after the atom bomb of the antibiotic.

In for a sleepless night

Man I feel you on this one.

My boy had a total GI blow out 10 days ago. I feel your pain....

Have you heard this AdoredBeast.com

Unfortunately, you have to wait a week after the last antibiotics before starting this. *I already started my girl and it is amazing *

This is what he will be on:

CE01E2C6-C0B9-433E-9234-E15DDDCE9D2F.thumb.png.ccf8b173333e2dae2dd784a853c74129.png

I know you are in England and this only ships to US and Canada but, see if your vet (or you) can find something similar.

As far as giving the meds.2779F0BC-FCFC-46B6-B561-E29F51FF8361.thumb.jpeg.6dc2abf9097ccac671eba7875a158b48.jpeg

Pill sticks work great.

14 hours ago, Shepsky5 said:

Does a topical antibiotic like Neosporin work for dogs?
You could put some on the inside of the bandage or dressing, and then put the t-shirts on over it? 
Probably ask vet first...

It does.

However, not for what Marley has.

Neosporin is good for small surface wounds that can stay dry.

Only once the wound has closed and there is no leakage (stays dry) can it be put on.

This stuff however, is the best I have found for the open nasty one...

A4FEC35B-B90A-4DAE-B63F-AA1DC799F7DD.thumb.jpeg.ad9c317d402fb75f3c07329f77b8cb9e.jpeg

I belong to DNM Elite  -  and tried in the past to get the leaky gut protocol   -  it was stopped in Customs.    However being an 'elite' member I had access to all the information including a 3 hour long 'Intensive'  video with Julie Ann Lee  (Adored Beast Apothecary) on Leaky Gut & the Microbiome  -  and went through the whole protocol using  things like Arabinogalactan (this got through customs ok) & healthy dog-gut bacteria. 

Marley's wound is still leaking  -  and bleeding slightly  -  he is fine during the day but in the night he always manages to get the bandaging off,  ripping & tearing  through the teeshirts, tape  etc. then he is having a go at the wound stitches  -  again!     I tried contacting the vets today  - but they had just closed   - so it looks like we will be back on Monday, although even with the professionals doing the bandaging it didn't last any better than when I do it.    So far he has ripped through  3 tank tops of mine, and two of hubby's teeshirts.   I checked out the surgery suits for dogs  but these wound not stand up to Marley's teeth any better than our teeshirts.

I will check out the Ascend.    However now when I have to rebandage him each morning I am using Calendula tincture  (leaving it 10 mins for the alcohol to evaporate)  He does not 'do' pain of any kind  and would not appreciate a tincture on an open wound.

Cannot get the exact match  -  however Amazon do various types of colloidal silver   - including one for pets    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Natures-Greatest-Secret-Colloidal-Antibacterial/dp/B00BU1CSV2/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=silver+sulfadiazine+cream&qid=1566046231&s=gateway&sr=8-5    at least I know this would not contain anything harmful to dogs   - although I will probably get the pure colloidal silver as well

The silver was a God send. If it wasn’t for that he would have bald spots everywhere. LOL

I figured if it was safe to put on his anus, then we have a winner. It obviously works great on wet leaky areas. 🤢 How my boy chewed a hole in his butt I have no idea but it only took three days to get it to stop leaking and itching him with that stuff. No antibiotics pills or anything used. 

ABBB2E13-D24D-4D0F-B520-D7FBE88F0D07.thumb.jpeg.d6a3c9a4301f7d228304f94ba7f9df33.jpegF47E20D6-A3E9-45C0-8750-2723EFAE31E9.thumb.jpeg.6b3d1d6a6630ccf0728fd3f635dc3410.jpeg354C1165-26BC-40B1-8B60-AD43DCDAE864.thumb.jpeg.ce0211274b0021801a4e1f237bd4bc93.jpeg

I leashed him to me at night and slept on the couch. Used a choker so every time he moved I would hear the collar. I am a super light sleeper. Maybe put bells on his collar.?.

His sister is the one that normally chews HIS stitches and staples though 🤦🏽‍♀️.

I also sprayed his shirt or wounds with Bitter Apple. That seemed to work great.

He does seem to leave the wounds I leave open alone much better then the ones with all the bandages. Maybe he has an intolerance to the adhesive. Or it is pulling his hair.

Last night was the last of all the meds. Now we wait 5 to 7 days to in sure there is no infection in the gut or intestines. 

I am going to start with the Detox one, then Anti Vaccine, then the gut stuff. 🤞 this helps because these flare ups suck and he (like Marley) is a big baby. 🥰

So heartbreaking when they don’t feel well.

AD95353E-456C-4CA1-8601-529355468CC9.thumb.jpeg.74c628fef5c28ebb0dc8ad9a74cde584.jpeg

and it stresses sissy out too.

8CD367CD-5463-493C-8584-49D6FFAFEBA1.thumb.jpeg.9724c9f72195f7cd60d786bcbb262f88.jpeg

I really hope he feels better soon. 

Thanks.   Have ordered the highest quality of colloidal silver in a spray  and the doggie one  - Prime will deliver it tomorrow so I can start him on it then.     Mikey is just as interested in Marleys back as he is  - but I separate them at night  so all the damage done is by Marley himself.    I am happy that your lad's rear end is better and I hope you manage to get his tummy issues sorted.    When Marley had a hot spot I used (alternately) either a calendula tincture   or a strong black tea  -  it healed over in 24 hours and he stopped gnawing at it.   

Just a thought on how to protect his wound, how about a life jacket? They’re pretty tough?

Tablets are a night mare, when Luna was so sick and they sent me home with 2 lots of tablets to give her I just thought, what are they expecting me to do with tablets, I’ve just told them she hasn’t eaten or drunk anything in over 24 hours? I actually got 2 down her by syringing water in after them, then of course she vomited and up the capsule came. She was so sick by the next day that we took her back and they admitted her thank god, she’d be dead if they hadn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two nights ago I tried rebandaging a different way to the way done by the vets - and it has stayed on  (thank you my old nursing tutor)  -   Marley has not had a serious go at it for 36 hours so its now getting a chance to heal  (where is some wood)!     He gets his antibiotic and pain meds in the morning - no problem - he is very hungry.   However he always manages to find the small antibiotic capsule in his dinner and daintily leaves it by his bowl  -  and as for getting the two larger pain meds and antibiotic in the evening .........................  well, lets just say I am going through an awful lot of Cathedral City cheddar!     I usually get one down at the third time of asking  -   he normally eats the cheese and spits out the meds.

Have him booked in for 8.30am on Friday to take out the stitches    -  they dont do sedation on Saturdays which is when his 10 days are up   -  fingers crossed we get there without any more dramas.      

I make a meatball and crammed the pills in. Sissy gets an empty meatball at the same time.

He competes with her so if I time it right he woofs it down so sissy doesn’t get more his. LOL

But it’s the only time they get meatballs. So now every time they hear a pill bottle they start drooling 🤤

I do the same with the cheese  -  it helps that Mikey is such a glutton   - but last night was the first time it worked.     

Yesterday when I rebandaged him the wound looked cleaner - only a little redness  -  the calendula and colloidal silver working their magic.

This morning Marley is a different dog   -   a real pain in the bum  - initiating play sessions with Mikey,  nudging me for fuss,  nagging for a lamb's rib   (none allowed before dinner)  - I got his  6pm evening pain meds down him at 11pm last night  - and he has had none yet today   -   and does not appear to need them   - which is great as I really do not like gabapentin.

He really appears to have turned a corner   -   I've got my boy back   :yahoo:  ................... I'd forgotten what a livewire nightmare he is to live with normally  :doglaugh:

That is sooo awesome.

It is worrisome when they are not active. Total red flag if there is not a good zoomy session first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Or if I am not having to constantly tell them to stop getting into something. 

I am so happy that he is bouncing back. 😁

I've had some fantastic news from the vets.    I orderd new allergy tests from the vets the day of his operation last Monday.   Finally got the results back around 7pm just as they were closing.    Here are the results from  Dec 2018  and today:

FOOD NOV 18   RESULT AUGUST 19 RESULT
SOYA HIGH POSITIVE+ POSITIVE
POTATOES HIGH POSITIVE NEGATIVE
WHEAT POSITIVE BORDERLINE
RICE POSITIVE POSITIVE
OATS POSITIVE NEGATIVE
CORN POSITIVE POSITIVE
CARROTS POSITIVE NEGATIVE
PEAS POSITIVE NEGATIVE
SUGAR BEET POSITIVE NEGATIVE

Whilst I know allergies can change  -  it shows that the hard work I put in after his salmonela poisoning/antiobiotics  and treating him for a leaky gut  worked.     I have to be cautious though  .............  this bloodwork was taken the day before he had this latest set of antibiotics ........................ so I will be going through the procedure again.   However it does mean that when I am finished I can start to enlarge his diet a bit   and include the occasional bit of chicken  and maybe pork  ............  Marley's favourite meat on the whole planet.    No new allergies whatsoever  and NO  High Positives.   Soya has always been my nightmare after he went into anaphalactic shock after eating meat that had been fed soya  (hence him not being allowed pork or poultry).   Now I can try them again occasionally.

One very happy husky mummy    :yahoo:

Sounds like things are looking up! 😀

How are they testing for the allergies? Is it a blood test or a skin test or...?
Just curious how they do it for dogs! 

( My daughter is allergic to peanuts and they made a big tic-tac-toe on her back and pricked her with every kind of allergenic food substance...
that's how we found it was peanut only (thank heaven). But the peanut area turned really red and grew hives, so her peanut allergy is fairly serious. )

Archived