Reoccurring potty in the house

I got my 10 month old husky 3 months ago, she came with no potty training at all from the last owner. We started to train her to potty outside and potty on the pee pads when we are not home. She did it 70-80% right all the time. However, last month we got her spayed and a few days after the surgery, she couldn't hold her pee well cuz of the pain so I put lots of pee pads around the house ( upstairs on the carpet and downstairs)just in case she couldn't hold it in when I am gone. 2 weeks after surgery and everything get back to normal, but she now decided to pee and poop on the carpet instead of the pee pads downstairs when we are not home. I tried to put a little pee on her pads so she knows where to potty and put up the baby gate so she cants go upstairs. Nothing works, she still jump over there gate and go upstairs to potty. Pls any advice to make her stop this behavior. 

P/s: I work from home so I am with her most of the time except when I go to the gym for 2 hours a day. And I always come home with poop and pee.( is it separation anxiety?)

My girl had a hard time after spaying too. Plus she has a small bladder.

Doing pee pads and house breaking is too confusing. Don’t do both.

Put her on a schedule and keep to it for (at least) 3 weeks, no matter how well it is working.

Start from the beginning. Walk her out on a leash every hour for 5 minutes. If she potties, high reward and praise and (if it is a fenced yard) let her off leash to play for a few. If you do not have a fenced yard, have her on a long line and play fitch or something fun for a few minutes.

If she does not potty, take her back inside ( no reward or praise) and wait 5 minutes then take her back out and try again.

Extend the time from every hour to every other hour and so on until you are about every 5 hours. It should take 2 or three days of no accidents before extending the time.

I believe females are harder to house break. 

She always poop and pee when I take her out and we have a set schedule for it. But for example this morning, I took her out right before I left for the gym, she already pooped and pee. But when i got home she pooped and pee on the carpet again instead of on the pee pads ( even before being spay, she always knows to potty on the pads). Idk why she starts to prefer the carpet more now.

I truly don’t believe spaying has anything to do with why she isn’t using the pads now.

There is something in the carpet that is causing her to pick it. I used White Vinegar on accident spots. They never did it again.

It maybe anxiety then.... 🤔 There are some great YouTube videos on how to help with that.

I would put on my shoes and grab my purse then sat on the couch. Walked around with my keys. Pretend to walk out of the house but only for a minute but worked up to driving around the block and then short trips.

Never saying anything to them before I left or when I come back in.

Every dog is different and has different triggers.

Can you pretend to leave but be able to watch what she does?

Do you have tile somewhere you can confine her to? Not a bathroom LOL.

I think she thinks...wow, this carpet is like a huge pee pad and it smells more like my personal pee than a fresh pee pad!
I think you have to clean off the carpet with enzyme cleaner, and ban her from going upstairs while you are out? You might need a more serious tall, sturdy dog gate that she can't jump over.

I actually used to crate my dog when I went out - like you, I'm mostly home so he would just be in the crate for a few hours and I'd walk him before I went out. He never had an accident in the crate. Then we progressed to, dog gated in the kitchen when we went out. We came home and found that kitchen was clean, so eventually we stopped gating him at all. I guess it took maybe 6 months from adoption day to him being crate-free / gate-free. 

Anyway their noses are incredible and I think even when we think it's all clean, they still smell faint traces of their pee there...
my dog is able to track my scent of where I walked hours ago...

Archived