My parents Husky is overweight.

hunblu

Hello, new member here, my parents have a 4.5yr old female husky that they rescued a while back. I’ve read up on the breed and did my research and know they need to be very active due to their metabolism. She is very fat like a log. They feed her Merrick Classic Lamb dry food twice a day. I got them to cut back her food but that hasn't helped. If I take her on lets say a 1 mile walk daily will that help her get back down to her original size? If you can leave any tips and questions regarding diet/exercise it would be appreciated.

-Hunter

ps. the picture outside is the first picture I have of her.

AA56B7BB-87A1-46DE-81B6-E2F077C24330.jpeg

37A000F4-C48B-48C9-9584-BEB3DAB4141A.jpeg

2FC64457-A92E-46F2-89AF-72B59C2089DA.jpeg

You say she is fat how much does she weigh then...because the picture where she is standing on the chair it does not look it to me the picture where she is lying on the couch will always look fat because of the angle of the shot...try and make one from above and her standing...

Yeah I agree with Robke the picture shes standing up doesnt make her look fat and the other picture is a really bad angle , how much does she weigh? 

Are they giving her any other food  such as human food and treats ? 

Short walks more often are better for losing weight than long walks (advice from my vet)

39 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Yeah I agree with Robke the picture shes standing up doesnt make her look fat and the other picture is a really bad angle , how much does she weigh? 

Are they giving her any other food  such as human food and treats ? 

Short walks more often are better for losing weight than long walks (advice from my vet)

1 hour ago, robke said:

You say she is fat how much does she weigh then...because the picture where she is standing on the chair it does not look it to me the picture where she is lying on the couch will always look fat because of the angle of the shot...try and make one from above and her standing...

Here are some better pictures, the one outdoors is when she was younger and the one indoors are now. You can see how wide she has gotten. She doesn't get human food, and she gets very small treats rarely.

2016-06-18 18.20.38.jpg

35.jpg

37.jpg

42.jpg

44.jpg

Has she been vet checked to make sure there's not an underlying issue , if shes only being fed her dog food and little to no treats unless shes being fed loads she shouldn't be big , what's her feeding routine , has she gained weight over time ? (Is there any chance shes pregnant? ) how much does she actually weigh ?

She looks like a happy chunch monk. LOL

If a vet check comes back clean: I.e no thyroid issues, diabetes, or anything else....

My girl needed to loose about 5 lbs. So here are a few things I did and it worked great.

Switch treats to veggies. Mine loves Red Bell Peppers. *only feed a quarter* Google online what you can give. But stay away from gassy ones like broccoli, it can bloat her.

Exercise every day. Start on slow easy walks for short periods of time 3x a day. (My girl was already running 3 miles a day when it was cooler, we stopped that because of the heat, now we just have to get up early enough to fit it in and to go longer uggg 😫

Check the carbs and fats on the food you are feeding. Might have to call the company to get carbs.

I switched to home cooked. Made a huge difference.

Quality of food is going to play the biggest part in this.

• 4 weeks later...

Wonder why I can’t get the photos on here most of the time, at best I can get small faint squares which I can click and then a “follow the link” box which takes me to them one at a time, some though take me to a page which looks like another thread saying I can’t access them!

Anyway, I was curious to read this thread because since I got Luna and changed her to raw she is awfully fat. Even when she was so sick and didn’t eat for a week and was then on liquid feeding she didn’t lose anything. She’s currently plateaued at 37kg. She currently has raw meat with the odd bone, in the morning she has a small tin of Butchers in which to hide her tablet, in the evening she gets 500g of raw including bone weight. She’s walked twice a day. I’ve mentioned it over and over to the vet and it’s like they don’t hear me, not one has ever suggested what I could do to trim her a bit. As she’s a woolly she looks even bigger!

a57a8935-a73d-433d-b044-76681e124cb1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can only suggest it is a diet thing.

She is not getting enough of something or too much of something.

What protein are you giving her?

What is your: protein, carb, fat, organ, veg ratio?

I follow the traditional seasonal diet.

Summer- Grassland (caution on Elk, very fatty (hot)

Winter-Fish

Spring and Fall- Fowl

Always keeping an eye on the fat and carb levels.

I have since switched from cooked back to their kibble because of my boy’s medical issue while I start them on new support supplements. This is so we can actually see if what we are giving is actually working without interference of food intolerance.

But I would put money on it is the ratio.

I just mix different meats together so some chicken with pork or lamb to include the occasional duck neck, liver or kidney the odd bit of heart, beef, no mixer now because it contains dried sweet potato, only veg is a raw carrot occasionally. I have been adding a powdered supplement called Meal Mix which contains trace elements and minerals, her size and food portion suggests one dose a day so that's what she gets. She's not into fish, I've tried salmon, it gets left, she has eaten sardines in the past but I can't find them fresh or frozen now. She will eat whitebait but even that has vanished except for in batter and that's a no no. 1 treat stick twice a day, 85% meat and the rest is veg. Something called spirit sticks, they're about 10 cms long and 4mm across. The chicken is a thigh with skin but bone removed. Rest is human grade raw, the lamb is probably the fattiest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived